Advice on which Eb bass

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ruthflugel, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Ruthflugel

Ruthflugel New Member

My band is thinking about getting a student model Eb bass. Any ideas on decent ones would be appreciated please.

Not too expensive and intune
  2. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

3. yeomills

yeomills New Member

I ocasionally get requests to play Eb Bass and not wanting to spend a lot on a rarely used instrument I purchased a full size Eb Copergate from Gear for Music. I have been very pleased with this and had no complaints on the way I play it.
  4. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Get a Wessex EEb - well worth the £2K or so. Student models are generally awful...
    ROBTHEDOG likes this.
  5. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Depending on what age group the band was. I would agree with the Wessex model above. But if you have a band of young beginners a smaller model might be the order of the day. If the latter I would contact mr Tuba or someone like him and see if there are any regent by Boosey and Hawkes around that have been or could be rebuilt. A good learners size and nice sound. If older players then go with the Wessex or similar, There are lots around.
  6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

additional info on what age group in the band might be helpful
  7. Ruthflugel

Ruthflugel New Member

Thanks for your responses. We are looking for one that will do us good for the future, be in tune but not break the bank. We are a 4th section band with a training band and the new one will be for a 16 year old just moving over from trombone.
  8. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

The Wessex is exceptional value and very good quality.
  9. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Have to agree with Andrew Norman. With your requirements a Wessex or similar would work well. There are lots of similar built lower budget instruments on the market. I have read a lot of good reviews about Wessex and if I needed a new instrument would trial one myself and I have been playing for years. so a good investment for the future I think.
  10. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

Thanks for the additional detail.

Apart from playing an old fashioned standard Eb as a youth Tuba's aren't my area of expertise (if I have one) so pardon my lack of knowledge. At 16 the lad (or lass) might well be the size of many adults already and he'll probably grow a little more in the time he's likely to still be with you (off to Uni when he's 18?). With that in mind I suggest not getting a child specific size.

You haven't said whether you want compensating valves or not, whether you want a fourth valve or not, and what your tops budget is. Do you have a shortlist of potentially suitable instruments for folk to comment on? Do you have an older band member who can try stuff out in the 'shop' before you buy - take literally hours playing in a shop before parting with your cash, I expect you planned to do that already.

Fourth section and young player suggests to me that three non-compensating valves would do the job. Watch me be shot down in flames on that suggestion! Packers do several versions of Eb/EEb and I guess that their web site gives indicative prices, I think that Wessex used to do a single Eb but do not see it on their web site now. I think that Jupiter do an Eb bass too and they have an educational supplier link which allows VAT free purchases in some situations.

Wessex instruments have a growing reputation ( ) . Googling Student Tuba and the like produces some alternatives (Besson 1000?) and places where you might get them from. Ebay has a few regular sellers of older instruments and one in the midlands comes to mind – better to buy a used pro instrument than a new student instrument?

Please let us know how the purchase progresses, it's good to share experience.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014