Advice on set-top-box please...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Dec 9, 2004.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi All

We are looking at purchasing a Phillips set-top box for Jens Dad and his wife for Christmas. I know nothing about these things... the information I am after is does this work through a normal TV Aerial or do you have to have cable...?

Might be a dull question, but we need to know before we purchase.

Here's the device...

Cheers all...
  2. impycornet

impycornet Member

We have the Daewoo version.

Freeview is straight through your existing arieal ( although you do need to check on the Freeview Website that you are in an area that receives Freeview & does not need an arieal upgrade ! (( I cannot spell arieal for toffee !! ))

Basically just plug your co-axial cable into the freeview box & scart it tnto your telly !

may be worth looking out for one of the Nokia freeview boxes with a card slot in the front though as there is a new service out called top-up-tv which gives all the UK gold etc channels and is available on a subscription service of about £7 a month !

3. impycornet

impycornet Member

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

yupyupyup... just connect normal areial and scart lead and it does the rest for ya :)

I have a Goodmans box (49.99)..... quality is top notch..... Have to subscribe to some of the channels though if you want them..... 7.99 a month (see I'm thinking of getting it for the extra channels... UKGold etc etc etc......

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

My box is made by Pace and also has a optical digital output (audio) which plugs straight into my Sony surround sound unit. Very handy for the digital radio stations.
  6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I saw a digi box with a Sky+ type recorder on it - I think it was on - will have a shufti tomorrow to try and find it.

7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

^related to that....
    I know you can defo get TVs with Freeview in them already :) My parents are thinking of getting that, and getting rid of SKY tv... which my brother and I are gonna try and avoid if poss!! :lol:
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The price of a digi-box is worth it just to see that dotty blonde on Price-drop TV. She is such a hoot when she rambles on! :lol:
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Very important part of the process, as we are in a black spot and can't get any reception via Freeview :-(
  10. rightnowmusic

rightnowmusic Member

Think you should be ok in using your normal TV aerial... although it's been a while since I lived in the UK now.... got Cable here and what seems like 4 million channels of nothing !