Advice on set-top-box please...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Dec 9, 2004.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi All

We are looking at purchasing a Phillips set-top box for Jens Dad and his wife for Christmas. I know nothing about these things... the information I am after is does this work through a normal TV Aerial or do you have to have cable...?

Might be a dull question, but we need to know before we purchase.

Here's the device...

Cheers all...

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    set-top-box
    set-top box
    TV Aerial
    work
    nothing
  3. impycornet

impycornet Member

John,

We have the Daewoo version.

Freeview is straight through your existing arieal ( although you do need to check on the Freeview Website that you are in an area that receives Freeview & does not need an arieal upgrade ! (( I cannot spell arieal for toffee !! ))

Basically just plug your co-axial cable into the freeview box & scart it tnto your telly !

may be worth looking out for one of the Nokia freeview boxes with a card slot in the front though as there is a new service out called top-up-tv which gives all the UK gold etc channels and is available on a subscription service of about £7 a month !

Cheers

4. impycornet

impycornet Member

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

yupyupyup... just connect normal areial and scart lead and it does the rest for ya :)

I have a Goodmans box (49.99)..... quality is top notch..... Have to subscribe to some of the channels though if you want them..... 7.99 a month (see http://www.topuptv.com/).... I'm thinking of getting it for the extra channels... UKGold etc etc etc......

:)

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

My box is made by Pace and also has a optical digital output (audio) which plugs straight into my Sony surround sound unit. Very handy for the digital radio stations.

7. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I saw a digi box with a Sky+ type recorder on it - I think it was on www.pricerunner.com - will have a shufti tomorrow to try and find it.

Will

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

^related to that....
    I know you can defo get TVs with Freeview in them already :) My parents are thinking of getting that, and getting rid of SKY tv... which my brother and I are gonna try and avoid if poss!! :lol:

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The price of a digi-box is worth it just to see that dotty blonde on Price-drop TV. She is such a hoot when she rambles on! :lol:

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Very important part of the process, as we are in a black spot and can't get any reception via Freeview :-(

11. rightnowmusic

rightnowmusic Member

Think you should be ok in using your normal TV aerial... although it's been a while since I lived in the UK now.... got Cable here and what seems like 4 million channels of nothing !

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    set-top-box
    set-top box
    TV Aerial
    work
    nothing