Advice on buying a new instrument with the current situation with Besson

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Thegroupies, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Thegroupies

Thegroupies Member

My Daughter has been given some money to put towards buying a new horn,ideally she would like a sovereign, however with the current situation with Besson we have been advised that we would find it difficult to find a new one, that we would be lucky to get a guarentee with it and that even if a buyer for besson is found, it is unlikely that new horns will be manufactured for some time.

Me daughter is off to uni in sept and will need a horn by then. Any advice

2. Di

Di Active Member

A similar question has been asked here in the latter pages of the Besson thread. Some suggestion have been put forward you might like to take a look at. :)

3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

My advice would be to find a reputable dealer that has one and buy it! They are the ones you'd take it back to should there be a problem and they are the ones who would resolve it. I mean if you buy a car, you don't send it back to the manufacturer, it goes to the dealer. It's not as if there is that much that can go wrong. Or you could buy a good used Sovereign and then any problems would have be sorted beforehand.

4. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

I'm in exactly the same situation as your daughter. I too need a new horn before i go to uni in september and want a sovereign. If she definatley wants a sovereign then i would ring round the shops asap, because some places I have tried have already sold out!I think i'll be spending this weekend on the phone to music shops anyway! good luck!

5. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

I bough a new besson soverign horn a couple of days before christmas and i asked the question about the guarantee, i was told the full guarantee still apllies.

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

My personal advice to you would be to talk to a few different suppliers and find out what they say about the situation. All I can find about their current situation is "trading continues as normal" statements, but someone in the business will know a lot more than me. Before you talk to them think of some questions to ask like: What happens if it goes wrong? What happens if it can't be repaired? What happens if I need to replace a major component? Where is the guarantee held (ie who is responsible for it)? Try to think of any scenario where some involvement with Besson (or whoever) will be required - either directly by you or indirectly through a repairer. If you can't get a satisfactory answer to those questions then walk away.

You will be spending a lot of money, you need to make sure that you have some sort of safety net if it goes wrong in any way.