Advice on Besson Prestige Euphonium needed

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Eddy1234567, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Eddy1234567

Eddy1234567 Member

Hi Guys!
    Having problems with my Besson Prestige euph ... its one of the newer models from buffet ....
    About a year ago i started to notice my valves were seemingly getting worse ... i took my euphonium to Steven Mead who found that the instrument had seemed to have a knock and had actually compressed....the brace on the bell had pushed in causing the pressures to be out ... i had it fixed at £300plus and all was well and good. Last week i noticed the same thing had happened and the brace has pushed into the bell again causing it to dent! Now i didn't think i had dropped, banged or done anything untoward to my euph the previous time this happened ... but i certainly know that i haven't done anything which could cause this damage this time around! Is this a weakness a known fault or what? To tell the truth im seriously miffed! What do you guys think i should do?

few pics u can see the ring where the brace has pressed into the bell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94807558@N08/8628209258/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/94807558@N08/8627099685/

2. simonium

simonium Member

Do you use a gig bag, or ever stand the banjo on its bell? Euphoniums are generally getting thinner, lighter and more flexible. I had three German Prestige euphoniums (1 replaced for finish issues twice; the final one made way for a 1980s hooter as it was much better put together) and can see why you'd be irked - they're not cheap. I would suggest somehow there's pressure being applied to the euph, whether sudden or not. If you're using a gig bag make sure its a good one with plenty of rigid protection rather than an expensive satchel.

3. Eddy1234567

Eddy1234567 Member

Hi Simon
    I don't use a gig bag it only stays in the hard case it came with and is never stood on its bell for prolonged periods ... Only during break at rehearsal kinda thing. Really frustrating with it being the second time and knowing I haven't dropped it etc. What do you think I should do going forward?

4. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

I would use a stand that allows the instrument to stand upright rather than upside down......even a short time that way could be the problem......or keep your case next to you and lay it back in there if you have enough room....

5. Eddy1234567

Eddy1234567 Member

Should standing the instrument upright for 10 minutes twice a week really make the whole thing buckle though? Surely the build quality is higher than that and I know other people with these euphs who so the same and have no problem :(

6. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

Was just a thought, I have a Prestige but I'm not trying to preach or anything,but was always taught never to stand an instrument on its bell......just old school I'm afraid.

On the point you are making though I would get in touch with Buffet and let them know, it may be a rogue one with a thin piece of plate........I'm sure you could get the thickness measured somewhere.

7. Eddy1234567

Eddy1234567 Member

No absolutely haha my uncle is a euph player and would give me a telling off for putting it on its bell to lol but I just can't see it being the problem :/ just gutted it cost me 300 plus to fix last time and it's happened again on its own :(

8. simonium

simonium Member

Try and contact Lyndon Chapman and then get Werner from Buffet involved - there's an issue with the flute somewhere. When I had my problems I found them most accommodating. Admittedly I was working in a shop with a very large Besson account at the time.... You're not using a strap when marching I suppose? I'm trying to think up what could possibly cause a major stay like that to crumple.

9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Just can't see standing a euph on its bell as the source of this kind of damage - after all, tuba players do the same, and their instruments weigh a lot more.

I wonder if the instrument was poorly assembled in the first place - braces soldered under tension?

10. Better to stand on the bell than lay down (except in its case). No way should this cause damage. I think you may have a dud. Keep badgering them and they may well replace it.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi Guys
    Steven Mead
    Besson Prestige Euphonium
    brace
    bell
  12. Eddy1234567

Eddy1234567 Member

Thanks for all the advice guys im not using a strap or anything and it is in its normal hard case .... so I've done a few things, tried to get in touch with besson reps several times without any luck so i will have to keep on trying - i contacted the shop i bought it from and its fair to say they were useless - the boss wouldn't even speak to me and the sales assistant was speaking to me as if i was a fool, i also contacted Mcqueens and they had no record of me ever having any work done to repair the instrument last time around ...... grrrr. So rather stuck at the moment :(

13. Who did you buy it from?

14. Eddy1234567

Eddy1234567 Member

Alan Gregory music in manchester