Advice on auditions for MD

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by honey bun, Jun 2, 2009.

1. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

Hi guys

Wondered if anyone's got any advice on a format/structure you use in rehearsals when auditioning MD's

2. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

I f the Bass section don t like them after 10 minutes,it s a good indication to get rid of them !

3. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

The last time Foss Dyke auditioned and got our fantastic MD in, we had a piece he had to look at cold but the band knew a little so that we could see how he works under a bit of pressure in unfamiliar musical territory, but also gave him a choice of two or three pieces he knew that he could train the band on, so that you get an insight into how they train a band and if they suit your particular outfit.

hope this helps :tup

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

There's been a similar thread before, but in the absence of reaching for the search button....

Let them bring something the Band doesn't know;
    Give them something that the Band knows well and they don't;
    Potentially try a bit of mutual sight reading;
    Include some kind of solo / solos so you can tell how good they are at following people etc etc

Don't make a decision based on one rehearsal.

Careful, you don't want to inflate his ego too much ;)

5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Oh, and if it's possible with your schedule, use them as a dep in a real situation like a concert such that you can tell how good they are under 'pressure' and in front of an audience.

6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Any you audition and disgard, can we have one please? We dream of someone applying for the job.

7. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I know of someone who might be interested in that ^. May depend exactly where you are in the south West though.

8. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Watchet. We even pay travelling expenses too (within reason, obviously).

9. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Don't pack your band with deps as this will give the potential MD a false impression of the relative strength of the band.
    It is tempting to have a full band for the audition, but if you do not have a full band anyway, the potential MD needs to be aware of who the regulars are.

10. I very much agree with that! - authough it wasn't an audition - I was presented with a nice full band - but when I accepted the job - at the next rehearsal the cupboard was bare!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    MD Hi
    MD
    Advice
    MD Hi guys
    auditions
  12. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

The MD nicked all the gear and music!

13. Paddy1984

Paddy1984 New Member

It is great when you get the chance to give the MD a hard time instead of the other way around!! :)

14. Di B

Di B Member

Have 10mins set aside for a q and a session.

Cover things like what comitment is expected from both sides, if rehearsal nights would change, if the md would have other commitments and what would take priority, what standard did the md want the band to be (an md wanting to go from 4th to champ doesn't mix well with a band who just wants to play well but doesn't want to be promoted)

All of these things you need to know but can't find out by just stickwagging on its own

15. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Make sure you tell them it's an audition ;):D

16. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

That's very true!!

17. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

Thanks guys for all your input and advice - helps alot :tup