Advice needed on Brass Tuition

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Curiosity_Kills, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Recently i finished my 3 years at Huddersfield University and have had to face up to the daunting thought that the government isn't going to be giving me a nice big student loan cheque.

Naturally, i have to set my mind on the scary 'j' word (job) and earn myself some money to survive on. Being a proficient Brass Player, instrumental tuition seems like a good idea. Even if it is just beginners.

I'm sure that tMP has it's fair share of Brass teachers and i wonder if anyone could give me some tips, advice or tricks-of-the-trade to help me start educating the next generation of brass players

... also to save me from the prospect of working in McDonalds ...

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Player
    Huddersfield University
    tMP
    Brass Tuition
    instrumental tuition
  3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Get a PGCE, even just for peri work. It's better pay and you become more employable in their eyes.

4. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

You could get your name on the Music Teachers website http://www.musicteachers.co.uk/

Or speak to your local music services to see if they have any Peri work for you

5. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

become highly trained in a number of martial arts, buy a good quality stab proof vest, and purchase a electric stun gun (i recomend the tazar, good at long range!!) oh yes and be prepaired for the local or national government of the day to treat your profesion as a political football to be hoofed around at a moments notice!!!!

good luck

6. Phil De-Zoot

Phil De-Zoot New Member

It's not that easy

Most naturally think if they can play, they can teach. It's not the case. Of course everyone has to start somewhere, and like you, when I was younger I was a great player and that wooed my prospective employers. Times however have changed, and in the teaching biz a million & one ways. Hang this one; "If you go for a teaching job, and you get it, will your inexperience worry you?" or "If you go for a teaching job and you dont get it because of your inexperience, will that worry you" I suppose it depends whether you will care for those who you will be teaching? Can I quote you? Well, I will anyway: "Even if it is just beginners" now it sounds to me that your mental approach is, "only beginners, piece of ****" it must be much harder (or more kudos) teaching Grade 8" Beginners are the hardest to teach, why? Get it wrong (and dont know it) chances are they will never realise their potential, posture, breathing set up, embouchure, articulation; get most of that wrong and it sets in like quick drying cement and takes twice as long to undo, often months to shake an inset habit!

So on the outset it seems as if you need to re-think your mental approach.

On another scale (Bb harmonic minor 3 octaves) I've seen great teachers (unqualified) work their butts off for years, and basically they have been treated like cattle by their employers/music service, some have had the tenacity to use their brains instead of their talent, gone off to do a MCESE (Microsoft engineers course) in three months, get a job starting at £28,000. Stay in that job for about 18 months and your next job will start at around 34k, then they got into contracting at £450 a day. Music is wonderful but in most areas the pay sucks for the time one has held down a job.

If you are going to teach (if you dont want much money) there must be an element of the vocational, so therefore learn your craft to do your best by that child. If you want some dosh get into IT, then contracting, then sales, then management at around £145,000!

7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Like most, I also recommend getting in touch with local authorities. It's best if you perhaps get to know your local head of brass on an informal level, then he/she can give you some ideas about how that particular authority works. Most Music Services have already done their recruitment for this coming year, but it's not always set in stone and there will probably be some part-time or sickness cover work up for grabs in September.

Whilst I agree with a previous post about getting a PGCE, it's not essential. The top rate for 'unqualified' teachers is about 22K full time. Not a fortune, but certainly a half decent living. I suggest that you hold off getting the PGCE and get yourself a job first. Many Music Services are able to offer what they call 'professional development' opportunities for you to get more qualified (and earn more money) whilst still working, and may even keep your job open while you take time off for study, but the main thing is for you to get your foot in the door asap!

8. I fully accept this, this is why i started a thread asking for advice.

Thank you to everyone who replied ... incidentally, my girlfriend started a PGCE and after seeing the stress she went through at University of 'X' really put me off the idea. Despite the fact that teaching is what i want to do eventually. Although, i'd rather do 'desk' work than instrumental tuition but like Phil De-Zoot put ...

To answer another point raised by Phil, on the subject of teaching beginners rather than more advanced pupils. I have taught beginners before and can identify problems which may nurture those bad habits. When i began my course at the Huddersfield Uni, I had Tuba lessons under Gavin Woods. My first month was taken up almost entirely with breathing exercises, scales and the most basic fundimentals of brass playing - things i wish i had begun learning with rather than "Right, you can make a noise. Here's a grade 1 piece, go away, learn it". I know that teaching beginners is sometimes a stressful experience, especially when a young player comes for a lesson and has quite obviously not practiced what you asked them to. I once had the (dis)pleasure of trying to get my little brother to practice his scales ...

I think i have explained my mental approach, although i probably should've gone into more detail regarding my previous teaching experience

...and as regards IT, i spend far too much of my life in front of a computer ... i couldn't bare to make a job of it, despite the money.