Advice needed for hosting a web site

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by strongbow, Jun 21, 2009.

1. strongbow

strongbow Member

It seems that the service provider that hosts Glossop's web site has gone and I haven't been able to contact the guy who previously looked after the web site.

Could anyone offer advice as to where I can go to host a site and how much it is likely to cost.

Also any advice on what I have to do to move hosts would be appreciated but please put in layman's terms as I am not very 'techie' and computer talk totally baffles me. :biggrin:
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Take a look at . Good prices you have total control and can update daily should you wish to.
  3. Red Dog Brass

Red Dog Brass Member

Have a look at uk hosting. Find it via google. Excellent service and range of packages.
    For building the site, Serif have a website programme called web plus 2, and for novices like me it has been excellent - have a look at thier website (again via Google).

Good luck!
  4. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

In use for registering my domains - they also offer 10gb of space with each domain. If you are prepared to also pay for the space, they have a bunch of Open Source apps with a dead simple install (such as Joomla) which might appeal to you. Not overly expensive and quick to get started.
  5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

You have to separate hosting from domain registration. Usually, if you've bought a package then they're both done by the same company. The domain registration though is a separate entity and is usually charged on an annual (non-uk .com domains) or bi-annual ( domains) basis. This is important because the domain name will be registered on the net with a pair of DNS servers which point the domain name to the IP address of a physical server (think of it as being like the yellow pages). You will have to transfer the registration to the nameservers of whichever new hosting provider you choose to go with. Your new hosting provider should be able to provide advice, and presumably a charge, for doing this.
  6. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I have several sites set up and hosted by Gavin at he offers an excellent service and you have full control of your site.
    Take a look at
    A basic site like this is inexpensive (tell he we sent you...).
  7. I use It's very good for technically challenged person's such as myself, and you can actually do it for free, although there would be ads on the website. I opted to pay for ad free service. They have a number of templates, and each step in the setup is instructed. Another one recommended is
  8. kp51

kp51 Member

I can supply hosting (I'm a reseller with a reliable medium-sized UK hosting company) and help you rebuild your site, with editing facilities tailored to suit your desired level of technical involvement. I've built and maintained sites for bands I've belonged to for over ten years. My rates are very reasonable!