Advice - Freeing stuck tuning slides

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by timbloke, May 2, 2004.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

I have a problem, I hope someone on here has a good and practical solution, that won't involve too much pain.

I have recently been loaned a Baritone for a few months for some orchestral work I am doing (discussed elsewhere). Unfortunately it seems whoever had the instrument before me had not been told that tuning slides need to be moved occasionally, and they are stuck... rigid... solid, won't budge an inch. The main slide works, and i have cleaned this and greased it so it moves fine now, but the three valve tuning slides are stuck, fully in (as though they have never been moved.

I've tried washing up liquid, but there is no gap for the liquid to get into the slides. I've tried soaking the instrument in warm and cold water, but nothing helped. I've even tried tapping gently with a hammer (through a cloth and bit of wood) but they'd not budge at all.

Any bright ideas? Any of you instrument repairers?

2. impycornet

impycornet Member

Take it to Octave above - or any other local repair shop

Give it a good greasing ( beurghhh) when it gets back. But if they are as stuck as your post suggests you are more likely to damage the stays than actually get it to move. So leave it with the experts :)
  3. Di

Di Active Member

4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Baritone Repair

Tim, if you give the bari to Barbara at band she can leave it with the guy who does our instrument repairs - somewhere in Sheffield.