Advice for foreigners in Britain

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by PeterBale, May 13, 2004.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Having listened to the Gerard Hoffnung tape yesterday, to hear the "Barrel of Bricks" story, I came across some advice for foreign visitors to britain - and if it sounds a little dated, remember it was recorded in 1958:

• You will oblige your chambermaid by hanging your mattress out of the window every morning

All London brothels display a blue lamp

Ignore all signs saying left or right - these are merely political slogans

Zebra parking places are freely available

Have you tried the famous echo in the Reading Room at the British Museum?

On entering a railway compartment, make sure you shake hands with all who are present

2. Amazing how times change eh?

3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

when i first came to this country I followed all these rules... and ended up a trombone player... :cry:

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

and thats a bad thing, Lynchie?
    ;-)

but yea, some interesting advice there Peter! :lol:

5. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Zebra parking spaces are really useful. I know the police always like to use them cos they always make me move when I'm parked in one.

6. Tuba Miriam

Tuba Miriam Member

Gerard Hoffnung - very funny. He's the chap in my avatar. He also commissioned (I think it was him) a 'concerto for double bass tuba and piccolo' and is responsible for Malcolm Arnold writing the 'Grand, Grand Festival Overture' for the 1956 Hoffnung Music Festival, which features a full symphony orchestra plus vacuum cleaners and floor polishers. :shock:

For more information on Hoffnung see:
    http://www.musicweb.uk.net/hoffnung/