Advice for foreigners in Britain

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by PeterBale, May 13, 2004.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Having listened to the Gerard Hoffnung tape yesterday, to hear the "Barrel of Bricks" story, I came across some advice for foreign visitors to britain - and if it sounds a little dated, remember it was recorded in 1958:

• You will oblige your chambermaid by hanging your mattress out of the window every morning

All London brothels display a blue lamp

Ignore all signs saying left or right - these are merely political slogans

Zebra parking places are freely available

Have you tried the famous echo in the Reading Room at the British Museum?

On entering a railway compartment, make sure you shake hands with all who are present

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Britain
    Gerard Hoffnung
    London
    Reading Room
    Barrel of Bricks
  3. Amazing how times change eh?

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

when i first came to this country I followed all these rules... and ended up a trombone player... :cry:

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

and thats a bad thing, Lynchie?
    ;-)

but yea, some interesting advice there Peter! :lol:

6. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Zebra parking spaces are really useful. I know the police always like to use them cos they always make me move when I'm parked in one.

7. Tuba Miriam

Tuba Miriam Member

Gerard Hoffnung - very funny. He's the chap in my avatar. He also commissioned (I think it was him) a 'concerto for double bass tuba and piccolo' and is responsible for Malcolm Arnold writing the 'Grand, Grand Festival Overture' for the 1956 Hoffnung Music Festival, which features a full symphony orchestra plus vacuum cleaners and floor polishers. :shock:

For more information on Hoffnung see:
    http://www.musicweb.uk.net/hoffnung/