Advice for Entertainment Contest Downunder

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Brassfeast, May 17, 2007.

1. Brassfeast

Brassfeast New Member

Hi all

My name is Sarah and with my husband, we run Brassfeast which organises social events for the brass band community Downunder!!

We are interested in creating an well run, fun entertainment contest here in Melbourne, hopefully starting next year. Both of us have played at many competitions round Australia, but are interested in hearing of any advice or suggestions any of you may have in regards to setting up a contest from scratch, and creating a structure which will eventuate in a contest that bands want to play in!!

There was an entertainment contest in Melbourne in the early 90s but didn't survive.

This needs to be a fun contest, with hopefully some decent prizes, good judges and an audience that is looking forward to hearing what the bands will play!

We have watched the DVDs of the Brass in Concert and that concept looks like it works well - the bands seem to enjoy thier performances as does the audiences.

Any suggestions, ideas or contacts whom we can discuss this with, let us know! It will be hard work, but worth it in the end :)
  2. Brassfeast

Brassfeast New Member

Not one suggestion or word of advice...:(
  3. hunting_high

hunting_high Member

Try this email:
    its for the leader of the norwegian entertainment contest Siddis Brass. They have arranged this contest for 25 years so I amsure they can help you out.
    The current leaders name is Reidar Værnes.

All the best,

4. Brassfeast

Brassfeast New Member

Wow, thank you! Thats fantastic!! Will email now!
  5. Brassfeast

Brassfeast New Member

Does anyone have any contact info of the people who run the Brass in Concert - the bands look like they have so much fun at that contest!! Would like to find out more about how the contest is run.
  6. Tiffers

Tiffers New Member

Try looking at

There are contact details available from a link at the bottom of the home page.

7. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

The folks at Prairie Brass Band in the US started the US Open 4 years ago. I'm sure Clark Niermeyer there would fill you in on what worked/didn't work, what they'd do different if they started all over again. It's a good contest, that has gotten better each year really in all respects.

You can go to the contact page on their website
  8. rikster

rikster New Member

Hi, Our local association Southern counties amateur bands association (SCABA), have been running entertainment contests for 26 years, with normally a good attendance in bands and audience,
    Can suggest you look at the website,, which gives contact details for the committee etc, and they would most probably be able to give you advice through experience.
    Good luck.
  9. Brassfeast

Brassfeast New Member

Thanks for the info!

Have made contact with Clark Niermeyer who has been more then helpful. Have also made contact with Siddis Brass and they are going to send me some info aswell. Am still waiting to hear from Brass in Concert organisers.

I have actually found doing this research quite interesting! Thanks again for your assistance!