Advanced Warm Ups

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ryan06, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

Hey all,

I was wondering if there are any websites or something for advance warm ups?
    When I warm up on my baritone,it gets boring playing the same thing over and over and would like to try new warm ups. If any of you guys know of any and would care to share, that would be greatly appreciated!
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

What exactly do you mean by 'advanced' warm ups? I thought that the idea was to get your chops ready for performance, and that's all that's required! If it works, why change it? (... and what do you do?).
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Tom...have you heard anything about Pat Sheridan's new book, the "Breathing Gym"? I think it takes some standard warm-ups and extends them quite a bit. Comes with a CD as well. There is also a book called "Double High C in 37 Weeks" by Roger Spaulding. It not only aids in extending high range, but low range as well.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- that's news to me, Pat! I will look into that when I get home from work. Personally, I think everybody should have their own warm up routine that effectively sets themselves up for any playing session. If anything that can improve this is considered, then try it!
  5. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Those sound interesting, and possibly just what I'm looking for. Now... where would I be able to get them?
  6. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

My favourite warm-up is an Embassy No 1 and a pint of bitter.
    If you want to get advanced, or maybe break the monotony, swap to Lager, or even cider.
  7. persins

persins Member

Sounds good to me!
    If I have time before a rehearsal, I'll try to do long notes and a few scales, maybe some lip-slurs too. Generally, I just turn up, screw the thing onto my chops and try to catch up!!!

At home, I'll generally spend a bit more time on the warm up with more long notes and scales!
    Anything to get the lips buzzing really.
  8. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Why change a successful formula? Bitter's worked for 20 years man and boy.

The P S W Band has some rather interesting takes on warm up techniques BTW
  9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

The Breathing Gym can be found here

I'm not sure about the double high C book...I honestly found it lying around in my father-in-laws basement and asked if I could have it.
  10. Moy

Moy Active Member

I always warm up with roughly the same things.
    This way I know if things are working properly or not.

Charles Collins and Arban - AMEN ;)
  11. 8th position

8th position Member

I thought that was the idea too...

John Fletcher in reference to a warmup talked about doing "the simple things well"

Bobby Shew, the American trumpet player simply buzzes his lips, both with and without the mouthpiece and then he's ready. It works for him - all about being ready to play.

It almost sounds like you mixing up a warm up with technical practice. Certainly I'd be very wary of basing your warm up from material that was orientated around increasing your range so that you can hit a double C. (When was the last time you saw that in a typical baritone part by the way?)

The Breathing Gym on the other hand is excellent material, and does exactly what it says on the tin. Much of it is a development of typical Arnold Jacobs excercises and is incredibly useful. If you follow the DVD exercises through (which takes around 50 minutes) you'll really have an idea of how your breathing should work. There's also a great exercise for nerves/stage fright etc.

My typical warmup, pre rehearsal, concert etc, is to simply make sure that I've covered the basics of moving air: long notes, slow flexibilities, tonguing etc. 10 to 15 minutes. The one thing that I'm focusing on is quality of sound. Of course the more you play and practice, the less warmup you might find that you need.

Most players that I know don't use a single specific source for their warmup (although the Remington is the classic model for trombonists) but they are all covering the same things.
  12. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Jesus Christ..Ive just clicked on that breathing gym thing,it looks like a kung-foo instruction manual. I hope the simple warm up isnt going to get the dreaded diaphram treatment, when having had a lesson you would have to research what you had just been taught in Greys Anatomy!!!!!!!!...... A few long notes,a few lip slurs, a few high notes,a few low notes,pick your nose,scratch your ar**,lock and load and off you go!!!!!
  13. 8th position

8th position Member

Yes, doing the entire thing as warm up is a bit excessive. ;)
    I usually run a couple of the exercises to get my breathing going and then move on. It's good to do the whole DVD if you've got the time though.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  14. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Without naming a famous soprano player form the Greater manchester area "Take it out the box stick it on top of the radiator, and go and have a pint (I assume of bitter) and come back 15 minutes later"

Doesn't seem to have had any adverse effect on his playing over the years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!