Adjudicators post contest speech

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by MaxPressure, Nov 14, 2007.

1. MaxPressure

MaxPressure Member

Have you ever noticed how adjudicators often say the same sort of things when they open their post contest speech..... things like.....

I've / we've had a really good day,
    I've / we've enjoyed listening to all the bands
    I / we think all the bands have coped well with the piece

Do they really mean it????????

Sometimes when I have had the chance to listen to an entire section at a contest, there is normally one or two bands that have really struggled with either tuning, the dots or a combination of both, sometimes to the point that it gets painful to listen to.

So I got to wondering what would the reception be like if the adj's were to really speak their mind,(but without being overly nasty.......)

How would they open their speech ??? What do you think they would really like to say?????
  2. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

I can remember when a certain adjudicator stood up after the contest had finished and berated all the bands. His words were something like "I find it amazing that bands come to contest without rehearsing their piece. I gave the best band 150 points and they did not deserve that many and I gave the worst 50 points and they did not deserve that" If I had been competing on that day I think I would not have been impressed.
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I remember being totally amazed after hearing the opening lines of one adjudicator when he opened his summing up by criticising the composers work... and this was for a regional area test piece some years ago.

He stated that the composers music was very extremely repetitive, simple in structure and somewhat boring. Thing is... I don't see a list of any pieces published by this adjudicator.
  4. clarebear

clarebear New Member

I was amazed at this years Pontins contest, when they announced the 3rd section results, both adjudicators said 'well, there were obvious winners, but everyone could have played better'. The comments were so negative, I was astounded! I think the words were 'those of you who won, well done... everyone else, try harder next year' haha!
  5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Whenever adjudicators have done this, they've had a slating from the bands that they've just ripped into, so I can understand the temptation to keep the remarks, well..... bland. Didn't an adjudicator have a pop at lower section bands at the SW area a few years ago, subsequently getting roundly flamed on this very site for his "candid" comments? (or did I imagine that....?)

Adjudicators also have to consider that, especially in lower sections, some bands may have a lot of young players who need constructive criticism rather than a right royal slating, whatever the temptation after listening to 20 bands slaughter a testpiece. Plus in recent years there have been controversies about the selection of testpieces; imagine bands' demoralisation if adjudicators spoke their mind after a full day of failed attempts at Images of the Millenium or Tam o'Shanter's Ride.

Having said that, I have heard some adjudicators address this with refreshing honesty. I have to say I liked Frank Renton's Bandsman article about how adjudicator's should approach the post contest speech - available on the BB site.
  6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Perhaps what they really mean is: "Please ask me back next year, I need the work"

Or am I cynical?;)
  7. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Also I have noticed that at Junior band contests and Junior solo contests, they seem to get it in their mind that "they are all winners" and "They were all marvellous".

Surely there must be a runner up, 3rd,4th,5th etc.....
  8. David Mann

David Mann Member

The most candid I heard was at Leamington a few years ago when the adjudicator said "We've had some good performances today and some moments of real embarrassment". He was right though!
  9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

A few years ago i went to a Contest to listen to a very well known Adjudicator came out and said;
    The piece today is a real corker but not one band played it, how it should be played so ive had to think very carefully to pick a winner.
    The Winning band got
    196 points:confused:
  10. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

We were given words very similar to this a couple of weeks ago.We were told the band that came last (us) sounded like they haven't rehearsed. He then put similar comments in our remarks sheet. I wonder if it was the same adjudicator. We do have a lot of junior players in our band and for them to hear this when the week before the contest they had spent every night at rehersal and even gave their Saturday up. It was completely demoralising for them. I don't know if that adjudicator realises just how much damage he did to the morale of those youngsters. We can take a poor result but if there's going to be any comments made they should be constructive.
  11. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

Slightly off-thread, but no adjudicator can be as bad as Anne Robinson on the Weakest Link earlier - "I don't know why any of you bothered coming!"

hahahahaha....pure evil!
  12. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I depped for Peterlee Band at the Butlins Contest this year and I went in to hear some of the bands competing. I was sat immediatley next to the adjudicators box and could hear laughing, tutting and comments such as 'they haven't even run this piece through before today' and 'why have they bothered showing up'.

Although I didn't hear the adjudicators remarks at the end of the contest I'm quite sure that these comments would not have been made!
  13. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Apparently the same happened at the grand shield when Pennine Brass were on, the problem was there most had thgem 1st, then they came 15th or something. Sham or Fixed?