Adjudicators or adjudicator's?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by el maestro, Mar 21, 2006.

1. el maestro

el maestro Member

Well, I was just looking at the title of this board/forum/whatever you call it, and I was thinking: "shouldn't 'adjudicators' have an apostrophe?" (the comments do belong to the adjudicators...)

Just a thought... :confused: :confused:
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You're absolutely right, of course, either in front of the "s" for one adjudicator, or after it for a plethora of adjudicators, or whatever the appropriate collective noun may be. I'm surprised none of the other "grammar police" have picked it up before, but we'll have to get one of the admin folk to amend it :oops:
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

A plague?:D
  4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

A box?
  5. Albert Fairbrother

Albert Fairbrother New Member

Wasn't Plague a championship test piece for the areas in 2003?????? Said the mad man laughing his way to the asylum on the memories of playing it!:eek: :eek: :eek:
  6. el maestro

el maestro Member

lol - ok then!!
  7. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

I'm surprised we haven't had a comment from GingerMaestro, after all he is the

"Principle Cornet" of the "The Band of the West Mercia Constaulary"
  8. robcav

robcav Member

I was thinking, initially and rather unoriginally perhaps of 'a score' but perhaps given the recent events in Yorkshire, the collective noun should be a 'confusion'.
  9. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

2 wrongs

Following all the suggestions that 2 adjudictors are better than 1 - do 2 wrongs make a right?

So maybe the collective noun is 'a wrong'
  10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

So is it agreed it should be "Adjudicators' "
  11. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

Hey! Does that mean I'm "unprincipaled"

PrincipAL Cornet
  12. Jamie

Jamie Member

Well, it depends on the particular contest. If there's only one man in the box then the comments will be solely his, and therefore the 'adjudicator's comments', but if there are two or more in the box, and the comments are the combined efforts of the pair of them, they will be the 'adjudicators' comments'. Thus, I suppose, in omitting it entirely there can be no quibbles on a misplaced apostrophe... but evidently will give rise to questions as to its whereabouts!

A thread entitled 'The Adjudicator*s* Comments (*Insert apostrophe as appropriate)' doesn't have quite the same ring to it after all...
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'd go for the apostrophe after the "s", as the whole forum, rather than any individual thread, will refer to more than one adjuducator,
  14. dyl

dyl Active Member

'The Adjudicators' Comments' it is then!

15. el maestro

el maestro Member

wahey!!! :D