Adjudicators at Butlins

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by postie, Jan 24, 2005.

1. postie

postie Member

A very interesting situation at Butlins over the weekend. Obviously went to see the prize ceremonies at the weekend hoping that Bestwood would do well never mind!!!. What made it rather strange was that the adjudicators could make it to the championship results and give their views. But unfortunatly on Saturday evening couldn't share their thoughts with the lower sections. I think that's rather a pity as feedback is always important. Any thoughts anybody?
  2. cherrybassett

cherrybassett Member

They were definitely in the room as they were stood at the side of us at the back of reds, perhaps they were expecting to speak but werent asked. Maybe the question should be posed to NEMBBA.
  3. Hornted

Hornted Member

The adjudicators comments

I understand that the prize giving thing was a last minute idea and that the evening entertainment had already been scheduled to start following the prizes and so no time on the Saturday for the usual adjudicators comments. This is something I think they are planning to address next year and the organisers are aware of importance of hearing the adjudicators speak.
  4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I am in total agrement on this:
    When you have played you want to know what they thought of the playing and what they were looking.
    At the end of the day just to give out the prizes without knowing, What the Adjudicators thought of the Band playing in each section is beyond belief to be honest if we would have known that what was the point in turning up to play at a contest to say nothing at all, this is a pointless way of RUNNING A BRASS BAND CONTEST.
    We have all spent many hours and the last 3 weeks putting OUR VALUED TIME for this contest, surley the least that can be done is to let us know what the ADJUICATORS thought of the playing!!!!!:x
  5. dyl

dyl Active Member

So Adjudicators remarks sheets weren't given to bands?
  6. postie

postie Member

No Dyl no problem with the remark sheets all the bands received them. The issue is that the adjudicators would normally give their views about the section they have been watching. But on this occasion did not do that.
  7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

You might have missed the point how i meant it_
    What i meant is
    How come the adjuicators did not get up and say a few words,before the prizes were given out as they always do, instead of just sitting in the audience,no real thought was given to it by the organisers who are suposed to be BRASS BAND PEOPLE or was this a idea from BUTLINS? Whatever it was it was not what you expect, after spening 3 weeks and GOD KNOWS how much time at band practise + home practise on your parts.
    Because at least you would have got some general idea on what they thought of the overall playing of the day by the bands, it needs to be looked into for 2006.
    To be honest, the prizes could have been presented at the end of each section like they always are because when you think the number of people who were crammed into that hall was not what you call SAFE, should a fire have broke out you cant think of what would have happend.
    It would very soon have turned into some thing very nasty with serious injury or even lives lost, if that is what they want then CARRY ON WITH IT.
    Dyl:Sorry for the safety issue but i think you will understand what i mean:)
  8. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I think the room was safe in terms of its capacity. The problem was people went straight for the seats at the back and stayed there. The 'dance floor' area was next to empty so if people had moved into there, it would have been less crammed.
  9. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I'm in agreement re: the lack of comments from the adjudicators at the Saturday results. Obviously the bands had their individual comments but general comments about the section can help bands (especially those who didn't do so well) make sense of their remarks.
  10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I might be able to answer this question. I was talking to some of the stewards on Sunday night and if I remember properly, there was some confusion between NEMBBA and Butlins about when to do the adjudicators comments. Due to this confusion the chance was missed for the lower sections, but it was resolved for the end of the championship section. Hence no comments to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th section bands but comments for the top section.

As I understand it, it was always intended for the adjudicators to comment on their respective sections. I'm told its one of the things NEMBBA are looking into for 2005.

As the conversion took place in Bar Russo very late on Sunday, over several pints (who can blame me??) my memory is a bit blurred, but that was the jist of what happened.

I wasn't aware of any overcrowding on the Saturday night...I'm sure the capacity of Reds must be at least 1000 plus...and Butlins have been running shows there for a very long time. If there were any crowding problems or safety issues I'm certain the Redcoats would have dealt with it. Likewise if there was a reason to evacuate the hall, I'm sure it would've been done calmly and efficiantly, as the evacuation of a packed Sun and Moon (due to a fire alarm) proved on Friday night.
  11. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Having read the posts within this thread, I would be inclinded to suggest that bands taking part in next years competition encourage the organisers to arrange for the Adjudicators to present/publish their speeches BEFORE the contest, indicating to competing bands exactly what they will be looking for.

The only advantage I can see with an adjudicator 'summing up' after the contest is to give the organisers a little bit more time to sort out the results and the opportunity for the audience to practice their Mexican waves.

12. Jayboy

Jayboy New Member

I think the award ceremony was really good, it was quick and it had a brilliant atmosphere, all of the bands we able to celebrate together, and with the music and the suspence before the draw made it very exciting.

It was very Different :D

Hatfield Band
  13. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I agree, it would certainly have helped bestwood.
  14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Thanks Roger, at least some one knows HOW A CONTEST SHOULD BE RUN.:)
  15. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

My educated guess is that the capacity would be around 1,500. Having seen over 1,000 crammed into a room less than half the size whilst working in at my student's union last year, that was stupid!

Anyway, I'm sure that there are people from the NEMBBA and Butlins reading these threads with interest, and hopefully, some of the point we are making can be put into action next year.
  16. WoodenFlugel

Assuming that's a dig at NEMMBA Ian, I find that a little hard to take. You have to bear in mind that this contest is only in it's second year, and only in it's first year as an open contest. I personally think NEMBBA and Butlins did a fantastic job - in terms of organisation of stages etc they are already ahead of an awful lot of much more established contests, and are prepared to listen to comments, which is a welcome innovation in itself. The only gripes I have (for the 2nd section) are the lack of chairs in registration and the lack of a warm-up facility, which other sections seemed to have. Both are easily solved and I think, from chatting to NEMBBA people on Sunday night, will be solved for next year.

Personally speaking if the adjudicator is going to pass comment on how he feels a piece should be played, wouldn't it be better to do that a few weeks before the contest date? As immidiately before the section starts seems to be a little to late to do anything about it to me.
  17. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Hmmm, no warm up for 1st Section either, just a freezing cold howling gale from the registration table to the stage, just perfect for all those "warmed up" instruments...... :shock:

It would have been nice to hear what the adjudicators had to say but to be honest i was too drunk to appreciate it anyway.

I didn't think the hall was overcrowded at all.
  18. WoodenFlugel

Hmm OK well there was definitely some sort of warm-up facility near our accomodation - maybe it was for the 3rd section :-? . I wasn't too impressed at having to go outside into the freezing January weather just before we went on stage either - those lovely warm instruments are suddenly full of water and totally out of tune. But still I guess they were working within the limitations of the venues and it is not the first contest that I've had to endure a freezing outside walk to the stage.

I'm pretty sure that it was intended that the adjudicators would speak after their sections but due to a mix-up it didn't happen.

Sorry we didn't meet up BTW - maybe some other time...
  19. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Yeah, the 3rd section bands had a good facilities for warming up. We didn't have to go outside from there to the stage which I suppose helped us a little bit, but at the end of the day, it is the same for all bands, no matter the path from warm-up to stage!

Also, luckily, a first aid box was on hand in the warm-up room, cos my finger wouldn't stop bleeding just before we were about to go on stage!
  20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I would like to back you up on this the FIRST SECTION was just not organised we went to the registration area to find it in DARKNESS FREEZING COLD, nothing set out at all no OFFICALS PRESENT, is was a complete shambles for the first 3 bands and looked like it for the first 5 after we came down from playing.
    It needs to be sorted out for next year on a number of aspects.