Ad Undas - to the waves!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Spaniels Ears, Nov 29, 2012.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I've certainly played plenty of worse pieces with brass bands. I wouldn't have personally bracketed "Prague" in that description, though; it's a decent piece of music, though not a straightforward listen. Another piece that I played at Butlins not a million years ago takes the biscuit in that category for me.

2. pvillers

pvillers New Member

Wouldn't be another thing to do with variations and rocks would it?

3. MoominDave

I couldn't possibly comment.

4. tuba1974

tuba1974 Member

I enjoy playing the music, it tells a story, very hard, and will sort the bands out, very tough,

5. TUBAWAY ARMY

TUBAWAY ARMY Member

You liked Prague Dave ??????????

Personally, I like it but also liked Sleepless Cities a couple of years ago.

6. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I think the piece is great.

7. TUBAWAY ARMY

TUBAWAY ARMY Member

Another mad man !! LOL

8. MoominDave

Not sure I'd go as far as 'great', but I'll certainly stick up for it as a piece that took a lot of harsh flak from people who weren't interested in trying to listen to it on its own terms and just wanted it to go away so that they could go back to Eric Ball and William Rimmer. There's a place for repertoire that pushes the boundaries, and goodness knows we have little enough of it. The reaction to it showed how unwilling we are as a group to experiment, and that was very disappointing.

As a piece, it's well structured, and holds the interest with some well thought out variety, clever effects, and even the odd haunting tune. But most bandspeople even now seem unwilling to engage with the dissonant language used. It's an easier listen than some pieces that were being played by bands 30 years or more ago, but you wouldn't think it to hear people talk.

9. All4Brass

All4Brass Member

We get chance to chat with Gareth Churcher, composer of the Butlins First Section test piece ‘Ad Undas (To the Waves)’ . During the interview we find out a little more about the piece and Gareth offers some advice to bands ahead of the weekend. http://www.all4brass.com/musicnews.html

10. casanova

casanova Member

A4B: Does the work feature any quotes from other pieces of music or reference to any other works?

GC: No, I felt it important to have totally new material.

Anybody care to comment on that little gem? ;)

11. MoominDave

Samuel Barber's lawyers, mayhap?

12. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I was merely stating a point about what you said about humming the tune. My point was that as it is referenced within the piece so many times, the likelihood of humming it, even after 1 rehearsal is pretty high.

If my conductor had written a piece that was selected for a major competition, I personally would keep my own council, so as not to risk getting caught up in discussions that I would feel I should defend.

13. ben16

ben16 Member

LOL

"had you ever used Sibelius before writing this piece?"
    "GC: no, but I think I managed to use all the symbols in one go"

14. MoominDave

Credit where credit's due, though, at least we haven't had reams of errata to work through, unlike the 2nd section bands. There are some moments of curious scoring, but few actual glaring errors, which outdoes most new contest piece releases for band.

15. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I meant 'Prague' is great ;)

I have no issue with Ad Undas - it works fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice