Action Research Youth competition Blackpool 2010

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by awizzbang, Jan 27, 2010.

1. awizzbang

awizzbang New Member

Hi

Which bands are going to Blackpool this year, I heard there are only 9, which is way down on normal. I don't know whether it is because it clashes with Valentines Day and the hotel prices are way up

Enderby Youth are going, who else

2. Supermouse

Supermouse New Member

Youth Brass 2000 will also be there.

3. Queenie

Queenie Member

Elland Youth and Sellers will be there too

4. Laura_E_horn

Laura_E_horn New Member

Rochdale and Wardle are going as well apparently.

5. As far as I know Houghton Area will be there, but I'm not 100% sure.

6. awizzbang

awizzbang New Member

Any of the bands who normally go who are not going this year, what is the reason?

7. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Good Luck to Poynton Youth Brass Band xxxxxxxxx

8. awizzbang

awizzbang New Member

The following list of bands who are taking part has just gone up on 4barsrest

They are

Elland Silver Youth, Samantha Harrison
    Enderby Youth Band, Trevor Hounsome
    Houghton Area Youth Band, Brian Adams
    Poynton Youth Brass Band, Andy Hirst
    Rochdale Borough Youth, Eric Landon
    Sellers International Youth Band, Alex Kerwin
    Stockport Schools' Brass Band, Phil Pavey
    Wardle High School Band, Lee Rigg
    Youth Brass 2000, Chris Jeans

Although it is a smaller number of bands I am sure the level of competition will still be very high
    Good luck to all bands taking part

9. awizzbang

awizzbang New Member

Well done to Elland Youth on coming first in both the music and entertainment sections, also well done to Enderby Youth, second in Entertainment and fourth in Music
    I think the organisers did an excellent job especially given they had to switch from the ballroom to the opera house at the last minute, I feel this is actually a better venue and the bigger stage certainly allows bands to show of their entertainment better, what do others think?
    It was a shame that in the end only 8 bands played and certainly it would be good to see more next year. One advantage, however, was that I managed to see 7 out of the 8 bands perform something I would not manage if their were 14 bands.
    Finally a big thank you to the adudicators, they were encouraging in their comments while at the same time offering positive criticisms when needed, a big improvement on last year
    A really fantastic day which was enjoyed by all

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  10. samandy

samandy Member

On behalf of Elland Youth Band can I say a big thank you to everyone for all the messages of congratulations we have received. It was a fantastic day for us and one again well organised despite the problems with the ballroom. Congratulations to all the other bands who took part.

Sam Harrison
    Conductor - Elland Youth Band

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Blackpool 2010 Hi
    Action Research Youth
    Blackpool
    Enderby Youth
    Valentines Day
  12. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Congratulations again Sam and all at Elland. You all looked fantastic and played brilliantly. Well done to Dan Eddison too on the solo prize. Joe Silson was like Zebedee onstage at the results!

I actually thought the Opera House created a fantastic atmosphere and the huge stage gives great scope for the entertainment and choreography. Did bands prefer it there?

Congratulations to all involved, and once again congrats to Elland. A wonderful set up, Sam has worked really hard for years at the band, so well deserved.

From all at Sellers Youth.

13. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

I felt that the opera house created a great atmosphere and was really good to play in! Lots of room to move about it. Hope they use it next year again!

14. awizzbang

awizzbang New Member

Just to let people now, 4 barsrest now have their retrospective available

15. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

Does anyone one know when pictures from the event will be up?

16. Rebecca Owen

Rebecca Owen Member

Band disqualified ???

Did anyone else hear that one of the bands at this contest was disqualified for cheating? I'm not sure what exactly happened, but I heard that a complaint had been made about one of the bands and that subsequently that band had been disqualified from the competition.

If it's true, then its really sad that a youth band feels the need to cheat.
    What is that teaching the younger members of today's modern bands.

The management of the band in question should be ashamed!!

17. RatbyPhil

RatbyPhil Member

I heard that a band played 5 over age players.

Not a great example to set to the kids in question.

18. a_szafranek

a_szafranek Member

Who was that then?

19. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I'm glad that nothing like that has ever happened before in the history of youth banding.