Acid Brass 10 years old this year? What next?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by youngblood, Feb 21, 2007.

1. youngblood

youngblood Member

I understand that the Fairey Band will be performing a 10th anniversary concert of Acid brass at the 'BRASS' festival in Durham.

Can it really be ten years ago now? What did you think of it then and would you go and see it now. I understand that due to 'BRASS' spreading the word it is starting to get a new following in the North East with a non brass crowd. This can't be bad as the more people that get to hear bands playing the better.

Last year I had the chance to hear the Young Blood Brass Band and they were doing hip hop and rap brass where will it all end? Should brass stay traditional or should it move on with the times, is there room for both?

Should we encourage those leaving our youth bands to keep playing brass in any form so when they get older thay may return to traditional playing. Maybe we should we pay no attention to the need for young players to get into trendier music and let them move towards the non brass music of pop and rock?

How many young players leave bands each year, maybe it is not a problem are as many joining and staying as ever have. Should we support Cool Young Blood Brass Band types alongside the Traditional Bands, will it strengthen it weaken them?

Can events such as BRASS help attract a young people in the other direction away from Rock, Acid, hip hop and rap towards traditional brass by creating an event where music forms mix but the brass unites them.

Maybe BRASS may be a way to do it show casing traditional brass raising its profile and putting it into a worldwide context. They are making brass cool and getting young people through the door alongside the older amoung us who are attracted by the high quality of playing by bands such as Mnozil and Brazz Brothers.

Loads of questions but I find it an interesting area of thought.

Also interesting is the fact that Acid Brass is standing the test of time and still has its followers, I am one of them.

I will be in Durham in July and enjoying all the brass being played at the Festival be it Mnozil, Acid, Jazz, the Traditional Brass Band Contests or Classical Brass.

Long live the Traditional Brass Bands the quality of playing they create can't be beat and young bands can learn a lot from them. However can we do anything to get even more young people joining and playing brass.

What do you think!
  2. Texus

Texus Member

Anything that pushes styles and musical boundaries can only be a good thing. There will always be room for innovation and traditions. If you get the chance check out Oren Marshalls' electric tuba piece with London Brass - don't know if it was recorded but a great piece. Very funky!
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Make way for the "So Solid Tubas".....
  4. timbloke

timbloke Member

In addition check out Dirty Dozen Brass Band and Coolbone (both along the lines of Young Blood).

What about the Mnozil Brass Jungle Track on the Into Africa CD, I've not heard any of their stuff other than this. Or does anyone remember the Jungle Remix of Terry Wogan doing the Floral Dance for Children In Need a few years back. I actually bought a copy, worth tracking down for the comedy value.
  5. brassyboy

brassyboy Member

Oren Marshalls' electric tuba piece with London Brass

Spoke to the team organising BRASS to volunteer to help with the festival and they told me that due to a post in mouth piece they are now looking into booking Oren Marshalls' electric tuba piece with London Brass.

So Cheers to Mouthpiece another great event is about to happen (I hope) thanks to your members!

Brassy Boy
  6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Brass Band Hoodies playing with trousers hanging off their backsides.

7. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Its all good as far as I'm concerned, bands like Youngblood/Dirty Dozen are really ensuring that brass playing remains contemporary, something we as a movement are particularly poor at in my opinion. Yes a different genre but if a kid takes up tuba after hearing the frankly amazing Nat McIntosh, then surely that is good for all!

The success of Acid Brass will always be open to debate but I believe it was an experiment that was needed and is still relevant today. Its this sort of thinking that will ensure the future of the movement, whether immediately successful or not.
  8. youngblood

youngblood Member

The future is bright the future is BRASS!

Hey GordieColin

You are as spot on as can be! We have to keep Brass music real to young people! They can always come to traditional brass later but they can't if they give up playing!

PLEASE Spread the word and get the Crowds in!

I believe the Dirty Dozen have now been booked for 13th after Boban but at another venue!

Also to those that have a youth band and keep loosing members this may be the way to keep them by introducing new forms of music. If they stay playing then they can come back to traditional brass later! Don't loose them, keep them and let them play music they like then at least they are around the main band and will stand by it in the future.

I am looking forward to a great two weeks, word has it Jack Brass may be brought over from the USA too.

If you have a youth band and would like them to work with Jack Brass then email he is working with Neil Hillier to make the whole thing happen.

They are also asking Brass rock, punk, jazz, funk bands to contact County Durham venues in those two weeks and if they fix up gigs they will promote them so cool if you play in a traditional band and another form you may get to play in both at the festival.

Any Traditional Brass Band doing anything in County Durham in those two weeks will be promoted as part of Brass too, so get on and make it happen!