Accidentals in a Cadenza - anyone know?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by matty1986, Jul 7, 2009.

1. matty1986

matty1986 Member

Hi all,

I'm probably going to show my ignorance of theory here. But can anyone tell me if an accidental in a Cadenza carie's through the bar for the entire cadenza, or is it just for the specific not that the accidental is marked on?

Thanks,

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Don't think there is a general rule. I would usually assume that each accidental only applied to one note - but I'd be open to the possibility that somebody could have assumed the opposite.

3. floppymute

floppymute Member

I've come across some cadenzas where the rule seems to work one way, then others where it works differently. Just got to use your musical nouse I guess.

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

As far as I'm aware, the proper method is that no accidental is assumed to repeat in a cadenza. Every note is assumed to be in the last key signature written unless changed by the presence of an accidental next to it.

I too have seen Cadenzas where this rule does not seem to be applied - but I'm pretty sure they're the ones that are written incorrectly.

5. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I've played both ways. I tend to find that listening to a recording helps you decide!
    Use your noggin and decide which sounds best. Sounding good is what it's all about after all!

6. ulmo

ulmo New Member

i think the accident affects the entire compass.

7. I concur that it has been done both ways. When this was first brought up, I had examples selected to illustrate, but I have since then mislaid them.

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Matty

I'd say that an accidental in a cadenza is a one off and shouldn't be repeated throughout.

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

During the twentieth century, the traditional convention for applying accidentals, the convention (we have described above), was extended. There are now four general approaches:
    Traditional - accidentals apply for the duration of the bar
    Second Viennese School - accidentals are used on every pitch except for repeated notes
    Modernist - accidentals apply only to the pitch to which they are attached and any immediately repeated pitches. Naturals are not used except for clarification
    Salzedo - accidentals only apply to the pitch to which they are attached, but not to any repetitions of the same pitch. Naturals are never used

http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory9.htm

10. brownrob

brownrob Member

I am constantly amazed by your knowledge brassneck!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cadenza
    Accidentals
    Cadenza carie
    entire cadenza
    bar