acceptable distance to travel to a band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

at the moment i am quite fortunate
    all the bands i play with are within 15 miles of home (i could walk to one, but i can't be bothered!)
    however, none of them contest.
    so, what would you say is an acceptable distance to travel, given the price of diesel etc......

i enjoy contesting and used to do approx 80 miles a week (2 x 40m round trip) for a contesting band, but that was quite a few years ago.

your thoughts please
  2. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I have a 60 mile journey to Battle Town Band every week (120 mile round trip).

Not ideal but I love playing with the band.
  3. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I used to do roughly a 50 odd mile trip each way to band, but I've moved closer now due to a new job.

It wasn't too bad to rehearsal - the only issue I had was when we had jobs that were further north and it'd be a 2 hour journey (I have to say jobs in Norwich were the worst - King's Lynn wasn't too much fun either!!), but at least that was reasonably infrequent.
  4. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I travel 45 miles each way so 180 miles a week with the additional cost of the severn bridge fare! Its great though i love it the biggest downside is having to travel to engagements as these are generally even further on like ammanford for instance!
  5. zak

zak Member

Depends how much you enjoy your hobby??? There is no answer to your question, it's a personal decision. Some people might travel 100 miles and some 10, a bit of a "how long is a piece of string question" surely!!!

6. boagy

boagy Member

It depends on what you want from banding. I made a round trip of 398 miles to rehearsal (796 miles a week) and I absolutely loved the rehearsals, the band and the people. For contests I was lucky enough to be put up by some good friends in the band. I survived this for about six months before the band/work/life balance started to suffer. What a time I had, if only I lived 198 miles closer to the bandroom ;)
  7. dyl

dyl Active Member

No - it's yet another 'how far do you tarvel to band' question! ;) One of many examples of the same question already existing on tMP - the latest of which can be seen here: - so if anyone wants to continue the discussion, feel free to do so in that thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.