Academic Festival Overture

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by fabled inferno, May 17, 2012.

1. I could use your argument to ask why someone would come on TMP to complain about posts on facebook related to contesting matters. Why come on TMP to complain about facebook? surely that person would be better adressing their compaints to Mark Zuckerberg?....oh....hang on....that was your post I believe!
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I think you've missed my point Mr Inferno and are reading a heck of a lot more into my post than I actually said...

I have absolutely no objection to you expressing your views on here - after all, that's what this site is here for!
    I wasn't arguing either, because I actually think its a very valid point. I was just suggesting that if you want to do more to addres the issue than just express the view and hope that someone might happen along and see it on here, then talking to the right people directly would probably be more productive.

Never mind eh! :rolleyes:
  3. :roll: Yawn!
  4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

In the world outside, there is amazing new concept called talking to people. When someone talks to someone else, who is an authority on the matter, and The Authority, as they own the company, there is a higher degree of success to be had. This is all assuming that the original someone actually wishes to do something about the issue, rather than object when contributors who have as little say in the matter as you do, offer suggestions on how to take the matter forward.

In the big scheme of things, we are all small fry, and even if we email Kapitol, they do not have to reply. Having emailed Kapitol in the past on a different matter, I did get a reply.

So, as I believe Accidental was suggesting, I also suggest that you contact Kapitol and ask them about the injustice of choosing a piece of music that doesn't have the same number of shedbuilder parts as the previous one.

The other option is to sign for a higher ranked band, where I am sure that they will be crying out for percussionists, but maybe not in the top section, as they also have a classical transcription!
  5. Laserbeam bass

You beat me to it Alex, and far more elonquently ;)
  6. "In the world outside, there is amazing new concept called talking to people"....very profound indeed!
  7. Sorry accidental I can only reply to what your post rather. than what you wish you had posted! Laserbeam, having dissagreed with me, now seems to agree with me based on your "erratum".....its all very confusing.
  8. jimmymac

jimmymac New Member

Is it just me or is the fact that Laserbeam is suggesting that Mr fabled inferno signs to another band rather sad? I for one applaud players who show loyalty to their band regardless of qualification, promotion or even relegation. I personally hope all the percussionists are able to stay with their bands, but would hope that Kapitol, or any other contest organisers are sympathetic in their choices in the future. I just wish that in this instance all the players involved in qualification would be on stage in Cheltenham, a real shame.
  9. Laserbeam bass

I was merely pointing out that if there is an issue with the choice of test piece for the national finals, that the aggrieved has two choices.
    1. Contact the organisers and advise them of the displeasure that the OP is speaking about
    2. Join a higher section band where there will more than likely be a larger requirement of percussionists.

My intention was certainly not to suggest that the shedbuilder in question should not stay loyal to the band that they are registered with, but if you deign it necessary to interpret this way, then so be it.
  10. Laserbeam bass

Yet you have stated on a publlic forum, that you have a grievance with a body thay may not take notice of anything that is said on here.

If you have contacted Kapitol about your grievance then I apologise. If you have not, then feel free to do so, as they are the only body that have any say on any of this.
  11. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Somebody's gonna have to let someone have the last word sometime....zzzz
  12. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

If its of any consolation, the third cornet part in this piece doesn't have a great deal to do either......
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It's a fairly typical overture from a bass player's point of view isn't it? I think I've played it once or twice but never properly rehearsed it.

'Overture' for a bass player generally translates as "100-odd bars of doing nothing, 100-odd bars of on-beat crotchets and quavers, a half-dozen bars that are a real nightmare, and about fifty bars of blowing your rocks off on minims and semibreves" so sheds, I sympathise.

Does strike me that they've chosen a harder piece for the area than they settled on for the finals in this section. And it's not the first that's happened time either. I wonder if that's deliberate? If so I'd be interested to know the rationale behind it. Are there any published criteria on how these things are decided?
  14. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Not as many notes, time changes or solos but in terms of balance, style, tuning articulation it present enormous challenges.
  15. Thirteen Ball

I fear you misinterpret me. I'm not saying it doesn't present a challenge for the bands playing it.

What I'm saying is that Cross Patonce presented the same challenges of balance, tuning style etc. to the bands that played it - albeit in a very different context - but also presented other challenges that the overture does not.

To my mind, Cross Patonce is the sterner test of the full compass of a band's abilities, and while I would never pretend that AFO is 'easy' to play, because such an argument would certainly be misguided, it's my opinion that it is not as difficult to produce a convincing performance of as Cross Patonce was.
  16. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Our wheels (Langley Band - Belle Vue Grand Shield, 6th May 1972) certainly must have fallen off! We finished 14th out of 23, much to the disgust of our MD, Dennis Masters. Stanshawe (Bristol) won on that occasion.

Also: one of our bandsmen was almost drowned from the trunk of an elephant! Happy, happy days.
  17. I see your point, but at the same time the term 'give the whole band a chance to show it's metal' you use may be a potential banana skin. Many band's these days have percussion sections that completely obliterate the sound of the band. It's the quieter more delicate stuff that takes some playing - anyone can play loud.

18. Thirteen Ball

Isn't keeping the balance in check part of the challenge for the conductor? After all, he/she is part of the team as well.

Ps: I know you were only quoting the previous post, but in that context, I think the word is 'mettle' meaning courage and fortitude - not 'metal'....
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  19. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

depends what you call loud :)