ABRSM - Associated Board Exam Music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ormyc, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Ormyc

Ormyc New Member

Hi

I have a number of brass students taking Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) exams this year, but I am finding it difficult to select the most suitable music for them.
    Could anyone please suggest/recommend the 'best' choices for the following grades:

Cornet Grade 3, 4, 5 & 6
    Horn Grade 5, 6, 7 & 8
    Trombone Grade 3, 4 & 5
    Baritone Grade 3, 4 & 5

Thanks!

2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Surely as their teacher you are the person best placed to decide what the "best choices" of music is - based on the abilities and strengths of your pupils? How can somebody else make that decision for you? :confused:

3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I couldn't agree more... how on earth do we know what is suitable for your pupils?

I try (in my limited teaching!) to get as many of the pieces from each list as possible for the student to try. Then offer advice based on what the student has chosen with some exam tactics thrown in ... e.g. on one list for Trumpet grade 5 there are two pieces from old english trumpet tunes.. one with no rests from start to finish, the other with quite a few breaks (it's kind of questions & answers with the accomp). I have suggested the piece with rests, as the student has to play 2 other pieces, as many scales as the examiner sees fit, sight reading etc. having 3 full on pieces in an exam situation where a young student may panic may be detrimental. However, if the student really want's to do 3 full on pieces, then they've got to put the work in.. :)

4. Ormyc

Ormyc New Member

Originally Posted by DaveR [​IMG]
    Surely as their teacher you are the person best placed to decide what the "best choices" of music is - based on the abilities and strengths of your pupils? How can somebody else make that decision for you?

I didn't expect you or anyone to choose the 'best' piece of music for my pupils, what I wanted to know was if there were certain pieces chosen more toften than others and why, just as David Quinlan has explained (thanks).

I spent a few hours over the summer in a music store trying to choose some music. But when you consider three lists for each grade, for each instrument, I didn't have time to check through them all, and obviously the shop didn't have all of them in stock!! (and the pupils I teach can't afford to buy a lot of music!!)

If anyone out there can suggest music that they often use for any grade or instrument, then I would be very grateful if they could share them.

Thank you

5. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I did a different board, so I don't know whether the music is the same, but for my grade 6 I played "Rondo for Lifey" by Bernstein and "a Trumpeter's Lullably" by Anderson... Don't know whether that helps...

6. Ormyc

Ormyc New Member

Different boards use different different solos, but thanks anyway.

7. andreab

andreab Member

As you're also considering the cost to your pupils (or their parents) it's worth looking to see if any of the books of music that the pieces come in contain more than one piece that can be used in the exam, or have pieces that will be useful at the next level. You'll see this in the ABRSM syllabus from the comfort of your own armchair and hopefully that'll reduce your time browsing in the music store.