Abide with Me - Karl Jenkins/Peter Graham

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy_Euph, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Does anyone know if this version, recorded by Cory Band on This Land of Ours, is in print and available to buy?

2. NervyBsMD

NervyBsMD Member

No it isn't. If my facts are correct, it was written especially for the band and isn't available for 'public' use.

Shame because it is a wonderful arrangement.

Try the Philip Wilby arrangement in the Black Dyke Hymn Book series.

N.

3. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Ok cheers, very disappointing, its a corker.

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Alas, copyright is sometimes a difficult issue where more than one arranger is involved.

I'm currently working on an arrangement of an arrangement of an original work at the moment and - while a one-off license for the band was obtainable by perseverance, diplomacy and bribery in equal measure - I should imagine most publishers would run a mile rather than try and sort out a license to publish. (Which could see them put in a lot of effort and make no money at all. Sad but true...)

Not necessarily the case for this example, (I've no knowledge of the specific case) but it is a possibility.

5. tat

tat Member

The Grimethorpe arrangement on brass hymn is far better IMHO, dont know who arranged it but would love to play it.

6. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

I think that might be the arrangement by Albert Jakeway (published many years ago by SP&S). Agree it's a good arrangement, but so is the one on the Cory CD - great CD in fact.

7. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Isn't this the one, published by Prima Vista Musikk, complete with a This Land of Ours front cover? http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/30068.html

8. Ianovich

Ianovich New Member

It sure looks like it. Glad to see that it is available now. I'll be putting it no my wish list. Thank you.

9. fartycat

fartycat Member

That version (Prima Vista) is in a different key to the original though and has slightly different scoring (unless they changed t back)!

10. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Agreed. It's not quite as appealing as the CD recording version. Just a couple of small changes (plus the key change) lessen its effectiveness IMHO.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Abide with Me
    Peter Graham
    This Land of Ours
    Karl Jenkins
    Cory Band