ABC music notation - an alternate to the traditional stave?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 2nd tenor, Jul 20, 2017.

1. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

By complete change I've just come across the ABC music notation system as invented/discovered/adapted by Chris Walshaw. Please see these sites for extra details: ABC notation - Wikipedia and abc | home .

It seems like a potentially simple and quick way of writing music using just a (qwerty) keyboard. I wonder whether anyone has experience of it (playing or writing) or uses it for anything at all.

2. David Mann

David Mann Member

Not in that exact format, but I remember kids at our school using something similar for recorder music in the 1960s. Also on early mobiles you could compose ringtones with a code something like 8e2 8d#2... The beauty of standard notation is the ease of seeing relative pitch and patterns, enabling fluent reading.

3. BrianT

BrianT Member

Although they start with the same ABC file, the two renderings of The Legacy Jig on the ABC wiki are different. One has 1st/2nd time bar brackets and the other doesn't. So a performance from one score would be different to a performance from the other. I don't like the inconsistency.

4. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

But there are already fonts which let you write music on a Bass or Treble Clef stave, and using only a standard QWERTY keyboard and word processor, aren't there - and which include all the fancy stuff, like rests and musical notation, too?