AAAgghhh! - A nightmare from the past

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BigHorn, Nov 4, 2006.

1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Those of us of a certain age - Children in the 50's and 60's :-? - will remember our mums and grans continually knitting. It was a constant activity. They did it while watching telly, reading magazines, riding on the bus or sitting under those big hairdryer thingy-ma-bobs.

Despite futile protest we would be decked out in the most awful ill-fitting creations to be laughed at by all our mates. Our only comfort was they were often similarly attired.

They were horrible and itchy and went bobbly and became snagged after the first wearing.
    The worst bit though was putting them on and getting them off - your head would never fit through the neck hole - thats why all the kids of that time had big red sticking out ears. :( Mums should have known that it hurts when you try to force something the size of a melon through a hole the size of small orange ;)

I just came across these awful examples - Im sure my mum made me that first one - I certainly had a few home-made balaclavas and those mittens that hung on elastic threaded through your duffel coat. I reckon it would go down well with todays chavs - just needs the addition of a baseball cap (hand knitted of course).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    AAAgghhh
    addition
    mittens
    neck hole - thats
    big hairdryer thingy-ma-bobs
  3. gawber

gawber Active Member

???:confused:???

I can't see anything:frown:

Is it just me?:oops:

4. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Me neither! Thought it was just me- have had the same problem on other threads in the past too! Try checking your settings, PM/MSN me and let me know what the picture settings are on so I can check mine too!

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The pictures are probably linked to his own PC and not for viewing until he comes online again.

6. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I suspect someone forgot to add a link... ;)

My memory is of pullovers that I'd 'grow into' - but they always seemed to stretch faster than I grew...:)

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I wish, when I think back, that tank tops were never thought up! So embarrassing getting one at Xmas! :redface:

8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

whoops :oops: sorry here they are in all their glory.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

No photos of the wooly jumpers that had pictures of animals (or anything) with bobbly bits that were attached to them? They were hilarious!

10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Not when you had to wear them:frown:

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- confess ... what did you have on yours? :p

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    AAAgghhh
    addition
    mittens
    neck hole - thats
    big hairdryer thingy-ma-bobs
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You can buy this if you want from here .... ;)

[​IMG]

14. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Whay is that man wearing a rather nice purple ladies top? More to the point why is he wearing while entering a swimming pool?
    My dear old mother (who grew up in the 40s and 50s) had a swimming costume knitted for her when she was a child. She used to swim competively in those days and once swam a whole race nearly naked because her nice knitted swimsuit expanded on contact with the water. She didn't know anything was wrong until she got out of the pool to be enveloped by several towels wrapped around her by outraged officials and her extremely embarrassed mother...
    BMB
    xx