A2 Music Recital - help please!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by aimee_euph, Oct 13, 2004.

1. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

For my A2 recital, i need to perform for 20mitues, and they need to be linked together by a theme.

Me and my teacher thought of Mediterrenean (sp?!) Folk Songs.

So far i have Napoli - from Italy, Second Mvt of Euph Wilby Concerto for the Zebiekiekos from Greece, and possible Tambourin from France.

But together, these pieces will only last 5 - 10 miutes and i need to play 20mins worth of music.

any ideas? or any ideas of a new theme?
  2. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

i'm doing exactly the same, but havent really had an emphasis on a particular theme, just maybe play in order of the years they were composed??
    but then, my teacher is usless!!
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

What are you doing for your performance investigation? This should be linked to your recital as well.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Aimee - you could do with something slower to go with all of those fireworks. How about one of Canteloube's 'Songs of the Auvergne' which should be available for voice and piano - an easy arrangement job!

Or Nessun Dorma, given that you'll probably have plenty of sleepless nights before your exams?

5. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

The important thing is that you choose contrasting pieces.
    What exam board are you doing???
    I only have to play for 9 minutes! Wish it was longer!!!
    I'm thinking of doing Vocalise by Rachmaninov (lovely slow piece), and a theme and vari solo (possibly Napoli), or Brillante by Peter Graham.
  6. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i dont need to do one. WE're edexcel exam board.

i thoight of arranging Zorba's Dance for Euph for the finale. But i can fill up sbout 1minute between each peiec blabbing on about what each piece is about and the relevance to the theme.

Rectial is next April...but i like to plan ahead :)
  7. Dave Thornton

Dave Thornton Member

Hi Aimee,

Why don't you have a look at Anthony Roper's Sonata for Euphonium and piano (published by Studio Music). The music sounds heavily influenced by Vaughan-Williams, I guess you could make a tenuous link to folk music style in that way - but most importantly, I think for assessed performances of this type - it's really good music. The whole sonata is c. 8 minutes long (with a beautiful slow movement - I notice you haven't got a lot of slow music in the programme yet), but be careful because my students often find that the piece is a little more difficult than it first seems!

Other ideas:

+ The Romanza from the Vaughan-Williams Tuba Concerto works nicely on Euph

+ You could do a programme of 'European Influence' - i.e.

Greek Dance - Wilby
    Allegro et Finale (for Saxhorn Basse) - E. Bozza
    (pub. A.Leduc - French repertoire)
    2nd Movement from Concerto - V. Cosma
    (available from www.euphonium.net - distinctly Spanish feel)
    Napoli - Bellstedt

Just some ideas of the top of my head - get in touch through this website or my e-mail if you have any more questions or problems that you think I can help with.
  8. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

oo thankyou everyone!

i've got ages yet but thankyou for suggestions!
  9. mikelyons

Hi Aimee,

Could you PM me to tell me what you think of the Edexcel syllabus as a student? Has it been any good? did you get much out of it. As a teechur I didn't much like it, but if it works for the students we might consider doing it instead of OCR.
  10. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I'm doing AQA music and really enjoying it, if that helps?
  11. mikelyons

Thanks, lad. I have already done AQA. We got fed up with it and changed to OCR. It didn't seem to suit our students. OCR is ok, but we have some students coming up who might not take to that. Students - an infinitely variable commodity ;)
  12. HBB

HBB Active Member

I'm on Edexcel... and I think that i'll be choosing the composition, instead of the recital... don't like performing!!
  13. trombelle

trombelle Member

20 mins?!?

I'm on AQA so that means no theme, and 10 mins (including viva voce)!!

good luck, all i can say is *phew* for me!