A World In Union...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Jan 13, 2007.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Gordon Brown warned today about the threat to the 300-year-old Anglo-Scottish Union by separatists. Which separatists are these? I assume he doesn't mean the SNP.
    Are we looking at a Balkans-style all out conflict, complete with Fijiian UN forces, or just a lot of silly men and women pontificating in London and Edinburgh?
    Frankly, I'm going to start stockpiling baked beans and practicing my archery again.
  2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Conflict is never going to happen is it? All our forces are overseas fighting "dubya's" wars. And in any case they've probably been issued with the wrong transport/guns/boots/accomodation...;)

I think what we saw today was Gorden Brown, PM: stage 2. In other words a lot of people saying a lot of wordy things, and a lot of media coverage about something which has nothing at all to do with the greater problems in this country. I guess its call politics :rolleyes:

But just in case, I'd stockpile the beans, and remember to place a door against your stairwell to act as a shelter...;)
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Maybe that's the real reason why so many of the famous Scottish regiments have gone by the board in recent years ;)
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well I'm all for devolution, as long as we tighten up the borders. ;) And why should Scottish MP's vote on what affects the English but not the Scots? Does seem a bit one sided.
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Maybe I didn't catch the gist of what was happening here, but I thought GB was advocating that Scottish MP's should not have a vote on government matters, just Scottish matters.

Can't see that happening to be honest because it is plain wrong. Guess I have misunderstood what was said. Perhaps I should go check out the beeb.
  6. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

If it means that bagpipes are bannished north of the Border I'm all for it.:biggrin:
  7. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Seems wrong that Scottish MP's get to vote on things that only affect England. Labour are never going to change things though, as they have loads of Scottish MP's. English uni students wouldn't be paying tuition fees if the scottish MP's hadn't been allowed to vote.
  8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I couldn't beleive the hypocrisy of Brown. The union is in danger mainly because him and his cronies set up devolved government for Scotland and Wales.
    The English are rightly aggreived that they get no similar body but are expected to subsidise Scotland and Wales but have no say in their affairs whilst they have a say in ours.
    The Scottish have now had a taste of self determination and understandibly want more.
    Brown is simply reaping what he sowed.

I think what this is really about is pulling the rug from under the conservatives. I beleive the conservatives are fairly unelectable under Cameron and his policies, but if they promised equal rights and an English parliament they would reap a huge benefit and win the next election.
  9. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I suspect that Brown was merely waving his unionist credentials in the air for all to see: if Scotland becomes independent (or even if the SNP do well in May's Holyrood elections) his chance of becoming UK president - sorry, prime minister - will be diminished by his Scottishness. (Fair enough - who wants a foreigner in charge?)

His implied suggestion that the Conservative and Unionist party and the SNP have formed an unholy alliance to bring about the end of the UK is pure political rhetoric: just about the only thing that these two parties agree on is that New Labour are making a mess of things.

(As for Scots MPs deciding on English legislation - well, for 300 years we've had English MPs deciding on Scots legislation... ;) )

(And devolution isn't perfect, by any means. Many of us up here feel that we're being presided over by a supercharged west coast central belt Labour town council, petty bigotry and all... Roll on independence day! :clap: )