A wacky future!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James McFadyen, Sep 9, 2003.

1. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

A friend and I were speaking at a band practice about the future of sheet music and we came up with a super-cool but not unrealistic vision.

In years to come, perhaps 50 or some, who knows, I rekon every band will not be buying traditional sheet music. Instead publishers will issue the music on CD-ROM's, 1 for every member of the band and 1 for the conductor. These CD-ROM's will be placed into a mini-computer with a specially designed monitor which be placed on a little stand, like the traditional music stand only studier. The music will then be read on the CD-ROM and be displayed on the monitor, clear as day, complete with a foot pedal for turning the 'virtual' pages.

Publishers will have the ability to enable or disable transposing and note change features, perhaps with the ability to write in new notes if needed. A hard drive could store the CDROM-Contents so that music can be changed quickly.

I think there will be a few problems, portability and to be able to use them outdoors, will they be quiet? and probably most important how expensive!!!!!!!

A new file-system will have to be made to minimise and possibly illiminate the possibility to make copies of the CD-ROM for copyright infringment issues.

The fact that the virtual music cannot be taken home kinda obliterates practice, but that's a good thing, no? :):)

I rekon this is the future of Music Publishing but I highly doubt we'll be seeing it anytime soon.

Anyone think this is totally crap and have another angle, or do u think sheet music will always be the prime way music is distributed?

Look forward to you wacky and futuristic ideas!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    CD-ROM
    virtual music
    traditional music
    future of sheet music
    traditional sheet music
  3. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

And after that we can all have Matrix style ports in the back of our necks via which we can insert any music directly into the brain so it can all be played from memory :?

4. EbHorny

EbHorny Member

Tecky Companies are already producing flimsy monitors. Ie paper thin monitors, then all you would need is a little palm top PC, to get the sheet music off. :wink:

5. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

You're a few years late on with this idea!

Me 'n Bladder were discussing this idea (flat panel music stands displaying/scrolling the music as you play, ability to mark parts on screen then rub out instantly etc) about 3 years ago.

The angle that we had was that this would be practical - but only in major concert halls (Albert Hall, Barbican, Symphony Hall etc) due to the large costs involved. All the music would be held by the music hire libraries (as it is now) but on large file servers. Each musicians stand would be plugged into a network point on the floor of the stage and the music transferred directly to the players stand via an incrypted network or something similar.

This is the future but I don't suppose I will see it in my playing career. :(

6. amgray

amgray Member

From a Software point of view it would be straightforward to do with current technology. The expense would be in the hardware.

Possibly could be done with tablet PCs, wireless networking and configurable 'push' technology/filtering for the individual parts.

It would be a lot easier than some of the IT projects that I've worked on in the last few years.

Any hardware bods out there interested in collaborating on this? :lol:

7. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I'm sure someones already done this sort of thing, its a pad which you can scan the music into. Can't remember the name of the thing, however I think it cost about £700 a piece!

8. onedrummeruk

onedrummeruk Member

Hope there isn't a power cut :?

This maybe ok for you bandy blowers, but it can be a bit of a git for us drummers.

9. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Yeh you'd have fun there, one foot on timp pedal one foot on page turner and someone behind you to hold you up :D

Personally I don't think its likely to happen. Though if someone could come up with a way to print music onto waterproof plastic.... Laminating don't work if you have a piece more than 2 pages long!

10. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The Times in their suppliment the other day printed a fascinating article written for an American homestyle magazine in 1950. Interesting to see which things had happened, and also where they were way off-beam.

I can see some possibilities in such a system as discussed above but in all honesty I can't see it coming about on any large scale.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    CD-ROM
    virtual music
    traditional music
    future of sheet music
    traditional sheet music
  13. Colin K

Colin K Member

The next step after the computer displaying the music would be to have outputs from the machine to operate the valves / control the slide. then all you would have to do was blow at the correct time!!

14. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

I dont like the idea personally , I think brass bands, orchestras, wind bands and the likes should not use technology - paper with string, wind or percussion instruments - leaves almost total control to the player and no relying on technology.
    Just my opinion.

15. I know... why don't we put together 28 PC's, install them all with Sibelius and scan each individual part in. Then, each member of the band can just click "play' every time they're due to play!
    Just kidding...don't shout at me.
    :mrgreen:

16. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

lol!! excellent! :lol:

17. asteria

asteria Member

What happens when you have to play on a bandstand and it rains? Everyone would get electrocuted!!
    I agree that too much technology is a bad thing (says she who spend all day on the internet!), takes all the fun out of the music blowing off the stand :)

18. onedrummeruk

onedrummeruk Member

Excellent - Install it at Brighouse now.......

Only Joking (best say that before the purple brigade get on board)

19. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

I have to agree with this one - besides we all seen terminator so we know where its going to lead!

20. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

of course, if the music scrolled in tempo (could be set by the conductor from his screen) this might be a real advantage! :wink:

21. bladder

bladder Member

If you some cash and some spare time you could do this automated sheet music stand now!
    You'll need 20-odd wireless webpads with backlight colour touchscreen displays, and an off-site/internet music server. Visibility of the screen would be quite good, re: new mobile phones, and the webpads will be quite rugged and offer a modicum of water-proofing. Bandwidth is not a problem, you could easily download a whole score over GPRS/3G in seconds, as long as it was in say svg-gz format or equivalent. Once the 'score' had been downloaded to the score-server pad, under the control of the M.D., the respective 'parts' could be distributed to the 'part' web pad over wireless lan or bluetooth.
    The software is the difficult part but not wholly impossible. There is already a project that perform the required function called 'tinymoods' and has been demonstrated to work. With a touchscreen and stylus each player could add their own annotations, markings etc. If the MD could provide beat indication you could automatically get 'cues' on screen, bars counted for you, a 'bouncing ball' pointer, etc. A lot features could be implemented on the fly, transposition, 'cues' from around the band, exaggerate certain symbols, i.e. KEY SIGNATURES, ACCIDENTALS, DYNAMICS, etc. With the rudimentary sound system on these devices you could have playback of your part, to hear the notes and how it goes, or even the whole band playing minus 'you' for practising! Using realtime sampling of your playing your 'mistakes' could be email to you for later comtemplation! Absolutely mad!!

22. RobertJohn

RobertJohn New Member

:? What a horrible thought!