A thought about Chelsea's s'tinker' last night.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Even though they beat Arsenal last round, I wanted Chelsea to go on and win it. Then 'Random Ranieri' spoils what was a perfectly acceptable start.

Still, it's nice to know that awful referees aren't the sole domain of the English League. That guy last night made Graham Poll seem like Pierluigi Collina.

As for Makelele, the less said the better.... (I'll be modded!)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    start
    domain
    spoils
    Random
    referees
  3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

maybe it just took that long for his brain to hit the front of his skull and knock him forward... :?

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one!

5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Chelsea can still do it. A 2-0 win at home will see them through on away goals.

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

My own view is that, (a) I can't see Chelsea not conceding at least one, and in that instance (b) I can't see them scoring three. I would, however, love to be proved wrong!

7. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

The commentator kept going on about Desailly playing offside by himself, but the main defensive error I could see was allowing ball after ball to be swung into their penalty area.
    Without selection of Chelsea wider players, all that Monaco had to do was loosely double up on (3rd choice) Melchiot and (CL inexperienced) Bridge, and they created chance after chance to score.
    Ranieri MUST be to blame.

8. rutty

rutty Active Member

I watched the whole match, and I thought it was funny how Ron Atkinson thought it was a good idea that Ranieri brought on Jimmy Floyd Piggybank for a defender, then changed his mind when it all went wrong. Veron should never have come onto the pitch, and Makellele's spot of acting was worthy of an Oscar. No wonder Monaco were spurred on to win it.

I quite fancy Monaco now to go on and win the whole thing - their front men are fantastic! Guily was such a handful and Mendieta had an excellent match too. The Chelsea defence missed Gallas didn't they? Every time the ball came over I thought Monaco could score, whereas at the other end Chelsea over-complicated the whole thing.

I hope Chelsea do it, but I'm not confident that they will.

9. Well Worth It

Didn't see Mendieta fly over for this one??
    Morientes(?) had an excellent game, both as forward AND 5th referee.
    Prso looks like the finished article and with the 15 goal CL partnership these two have formed this season, who could doubt their ability to shoot their team into the final?

10. rutty

rutty Active Member

Heh, started with an M ;)

He could have been sent off for kicking out in the second half - was worse than Beckhams "brutal" assault on Simione anyway. Whatever, Morientes is a class player, and I can see Monaco beating either Porto or Deportivo.

11. Well Worth It

I find it difficult to disregard Chelsea's chances of pulling this back when you think of the attacking threat that they have to choose from.

You speak like they're already out...?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    start
    domain
    spoils
    Random
    referees
  13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

When did Chelsea last put three or more goals in the bag at home? Or more to the point, how often have they managed it? Lazio away is now but a distant dream (Rather like Arsenal away to Inter, I know!) They'll need to score at least three as Monaco's attacking threat will, I believe, reap at least one goal.

In any case, albeit by falling on his own sword, we won't have to put up with that windbag Big Ron (anagram; 'boring') on ITV anymore!

14. Well Worth It

True, but to disregard their chances altogether is a little foolish.
    I still think they're a reasonale bet to go through.
    Ranieri, despite his faults, has been in this situation before and knows what is required of his team.
    The desire that seemed to be vacant in his players, may be replace by fear of failure..?

15. Steve

Steve Active Member

I still think a 2-0 result is well within Chelsea's ability. Their defence really is quite good when it needs to be and I dont think they will need any firing up for the return leg. I can see them still qualifying, but they need a proper team effort (not just Lampard, Terry, Usual suspects playing well) at The Bridge.

16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Steve/Well Worth It.

I hope you're both right and I'm utterly wrong! (the latter wouldn't be a first... ;-))

17. Well Worth It

So do I.
    5 years without an English team in the Final is quite long enough.