A Taste of Honey

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Mann, Mar 21, 2010.

1. David Mann

David Mann Member

I'm after a set of this piece. Two problems: our normal supplier tells us it's out of print, and I'm not actually sure which of the published arrangements we actually need. As far as I remember from playing it 20-odd years ago, it's a march card size piece, starts slowly, goes into a swingy style then finishes slowly. Any advance on this patchy information would be welcome!
  2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Could be you're after the Frank Bryce arrangement.

If all else fails, get hold of someone at Besses and get the number of their librarian - if it's still Robert Jenkinson tell him I sent you and he'll maybe sign it out and lend it to you.
  3. JAlexK

JAlexK New Member

4. David Mann

David Mann Member

Unfortunately they were the ones who told us it was out of print.
  5. KMJ Recordings

The Besses ones are likely to be copies of Frank's manuscript. It's about 15 years since I last played it there and can't remember if it was the printed one...but I'm fairly sure it wasn't.
  6. Columbo

Columbo Member

Not much help but it IS definitely in print somewhere as I've seen brand new copies of it only this year. Great arrangement by Frank Bryce. One of my faves.
  7. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Try Studio Music - worth calling or emailing as not everything is online.

Cadence House
    Eaton Green Road
    Luton, Bedfordshire
    LU2 9LD

Tel: +44 (0)1582 432139

Freephone (UK only): 0800 389 2484

Fax: +44 (0)1582 731989

e-mail: sales@studio-music.co.uk
  8. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Hi David,

Don't know if you've had any luck with 'A Taste of Honey' parts yet, but I'm sure City of Cov. have this in their library.

From your description it sounds like the arrangement you're looking for too!

If you give Phil Wroe a call, I'm sure he can sort you out. His mobile number is: 07831467378.

Cheers, Mark H.
  9. David Mann

David Mann Member

Got a message to say it's listed as permanently out of print. :( Any band got a spare set for sale?
  10. Bones

Bones Member

Pretty sure I played it with Reg Vardy, and it was a Ray Farr arragement
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm trying to remember a little about this arrangement. Was it a copy of Herb Alpert's version?
  12. David Mann

David Mann Member

As far as I can remember it is a copy of Herp Alpert (classic YouTube material) and I'm convinced it's the Frank Bryce arrangement. I played it with Moston and Beswick - wonder what happened to their library when they folded?
  13. KMJ Recordings

It might have made its way to Middleton...at least in part.