A Special Concert

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by TIMBONE, Sep 11, 2005.

1. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

On Saturday 24th September, besides the Finals in Harrogate, there will be another important event taking place at Victoria Methodist Church on Station Road in Weston-super-Mare.

Weston-super-Mare Brass, supported by the Landsker Singers from Pembrokeshire, will be performing an evening of musical entertainment which will be a trubute to Doreen Paton, who passed away in September 2004. Entry is £6, with proceeds going to MacMillan Nurses.

Weston Brass will include "Farandole" by Bizet, "Nabuccodonosor" by Verdi, "A Rachmaninoff Prelude" arranged by Tim Paton, "Meditation" based on 'God so loved the World' by Stainer, arranged by Tim Paton. After a performance from the choir and an interval, the band will open the second half with the "Grand March from Aida" by Verdi. They then go on to play "Moon River" by Mancini, "Instant Concert" by Walters, and "American Trilogy" by Goff Richards. After more singing from the choir, we come to the Grand Finale. This features a joint performance by band and choir of "My Little Welsh Home" by Gwynne Williams, specially arranged in memory of his mother by Tim Paton, (further details on the page entitled "Little Welsh Home" on www.tpmusic.co.uk). The concert ends with "Finlandia" by Sibelius, including the choir singing "Be still my Soul".

Finally, here is a little competition. The first person to email timpaton@tpmusic.co.uk with the correct meaning of LANDSKER, will be sent a free copy of the arrangement for band with optional choir of "My Little Welsh Home".

2. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Here is a clue for the competition. The choir taking part in this concert are the LANDSKER singers, and they are from Pembrokeshire. If you have an answer, you can PM me.

Tim

3. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Our very own Dyl was the first to message me with the correct answer. The LANDSKER LINE historically divides the Welsh speaking North Pembrokeshire from the English speaking South.

I must mention Rob Palmer, who was 'pipped at the post', but gave some good historical detail.

Tim