A Russian Overture??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by dizzystinker, Oct 15, 2008.

1. dizzystinker

dizzystinker Member

Does anyone remember this piece? I think Desford played it at the nationals gala concert the year they won for the third year running? Maybe 1991???

2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

yes great piece , arranged by ken ferguson if i remember...its not on the polyphonic cd with energy , the ted heath big band set....

3. dizzystinker

dizzystinker Member

has it been recorded or published?

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Erm, do you mean the Russian Easter Festival Overture, Op.36, by Rimsky Korsakov?

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

6. TubaPete

TubaPete Member

I'm not sure it is the Rimsky Korsakov.

I have in my mind the name Boris Diev and a memory that it was written for Desford to celebrate a trip they had recently taken to Russia, following relaxation of border controls. My memory says it was broadcast on the Radio (Listen to the Band?) and that it was a great piece.

I wonder if it does exist anywhere?

Pete

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Hi Pete. Only related reference I found for Boris Diev is his Vivat Rossia Overture. I don't this one at all.

8. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Contact Ken. He playes at Grimethorpe these days.

9. TubaPete

TubaPete Member

I guess if anyone on here is a student at the Royal Academy, they might ask Jim Watson for us. Another option would be to contact Desford os they played it - it's probably still in their library!

Pete

10. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

A Russian Overture (Opus 72) is written by Sergej Prokofiev.. :) If it was in James Watson´s Desford days the arranger could be Roger Harvey who made numerous arrangements of classic pieces for them.. .

JVL

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Russian
    Desford
    year
    nationals gala concert
    Russian Overture
  12. RamasII

RamasII Member

;)it was kens arr...only done in manuscript...and crazy E flat bass part, fast octaves, double Tongue, with sop...he may have a copy or just left it there..yes we played it at the first half of the gala concert after the 4th win..

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... of the Prokofiev work?

14. RamasII

RamasII Member

Boris Diev

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

cheers!

16. RamasII

RamasII Member

if memory serves me right it was called simply... A Russian Overature....oh and it was played on the listen to the band from the gala concert...grrr..got me singing it now!!