A "real" game- cricket

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by fitzy, Jun 16, 2004.

1. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

How bout a thread on a real game? Lets talk about cricket! Even Englands playing well at the moment! (Unlike the football team!) :wink: :lol:

2. rutty

rutty Active Member

Oh no! An Aussie wanting to talk about cricket! This can only end badly ;)

On a more serious note, I've got to agree with you. I like my cricket, and despite the fact that lancashire are currently posting a decent total in the C&G cup against Yorkshire I've had plenty to smile about recently with the state of the game over here.

I am so looking forward to the Aussies coming over here next year - should be a good series, and possibly even competitive for a change. I hope that Warne's hand repairs itself in time for that, and that we get as good weather as the NZ team have enjoyed this time round.

I could quite happily watch all five days of a test without feeling even remotely guilty about having something more important to do ;)

England have the beginnings of a rather good team, and even have this year's best bowler in Harmison! More wickets and at a lower average than even Warne and Murali!

3. Ste69

Ste69 Member

Agreed...I went to Headingley for the Saturday and Sunday and had the most brilliant time.....Top match that was....And I burnt all the top of my head in the process. :oops:

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I only DON'T watch cricket too much because I have too short an attention span! But it is good that England are picking up after many years in the doldrums. The Aussies are still streets ahead of the rest in my humble opinion, but Nasser Hussain and Duncan Fletcher have kick started a revival to which English cricket fans should be truly grateful!

5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

so what's the general concensus on Andrew Strauss? One hit wonder? Or do you think he'll show some more of that promise in the future?

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I think he'll have to go a long way before he writes as many waltzes as his great-great-great grandfather did!

But seriously, he's had a pretty amazing start. We'll only find out how good he really is when he faces the Aussies, I guess!

7. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I have a funny feeling that even though England is playing well at the mo, the ashes could be a bit onesided as usual!

You dont need a long attention span to watch cricket! I practise while I watch and when something good (or bad) happens, the commentators jump up and down and let you know when to look!

8. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Is this a good place to mention Ireland beating Surrey a few weeks ago?
    *shock*

almost as good as Munster v All Blacks in 1973 ;)

sorry I digress....

9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Was Herman captaining that day? ;-) ;-)

10. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Hang on, where's me trombone?....

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Lets
    cricket
    game
    game- cricket
    thread
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I would thank you to refrain from making jokes about the greatest day in sporting history...

13. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Yey cricket!!

14. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

I;d rather watch paint dry or the grass grow than endure a cricket match :cry: then again in Scotland we dont really play it that well :?

15. ScrapingtheBottom

A master of understatement I see. Saying that there have been a few good Scottish cricketers (that have played for England).

16. rutty

rutty Active Member

Excellent win for Yorshire yesterday after having an early wobble. Michael Vaughn showed his worth yet again. Very entertaining end to a match :)

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Including at least one who was Captain :wink:

18. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Well, as we're talking about one of the four noble sports, I'll tell you how I did on Saturday.

*smug look on face alert!**smug look on face alert!**smug look on face alert!**smug look on face alert!**smug look on face alert!**smug look on face alert!**smug look on face alert!**smug look on face alert!**smug look on face alert!*

As some of you will be aware, I missed nearly all of last season because of an achilles tendon injury, and for many months I doubted whether I'd ever play again.

I am back playing, in good form with the ball, and on Saturday set a club first.

Bowling first, I opened the bowling and bowled unchanged to get figures of 21.3-2-65-6.

I then asked the skipper if I should "open the umpiring", but he said he hadn't found an opener (Bizarre. Strongest batting line up I've played in the second team and no one wanted to open.) So I volunteered. *** Skip said "But you must be knackered!" I said I was, but if no-one else would offer, I was volunteering. (In truth, I couldn't buy a run batting down the order, and I hate waiting to go in.) We opened with 63 beofre my partner was bowled by a shooter, and I proceeded until I was LBW at 113 having made 55. I didn't time one big shot, the type I'm normally known for, but my badly timed shots had a lot of power :lol:

*** No, I REALLY volunteered. Not like volunteering to play Bb Bass for the Nationals...

It's the first time in my club's 10 season history that the "match double" of 50 runs and 5 wkts has been achieved.

*Blows on fingers and rubs England footy shirt* *switch off smug look on face*

Now, if only I can get my club batting record back, I can retire a happy man...

You've never seen me play, have you? I'm told it's worth watching me play, just for the theatrical content of my appealing :roll:

19. ScrapingtheBottom

Well played squire, a truely awesome performance.

20. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Just read that Ireland have beaten the West Indies!
    I am in shock...

21. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Make's England's "Whitewash" look a bit feeble when the Irish lads can beat them... next they'll give the new zealand boys a good kicking just to undermine all England's hardwork... mwahahahahha!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Lets
    cricket
    game
    game- cricket
    thread