A quote from Mumford and Sons

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by James Yelland, Feb 21, 2013.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

A quote from Mumford and Sons, as heard in an item on the Brit Awards this morning on the Today programme:

"These award things are silly, and making music into a competition is a silly idea in the first place, and we really do believe that, but celebrating and recognising (music) is nice."

I wonder if that sort of philosophy is why Mumford & Sons are an internationally recognised act with millions of followers, and brass bands aren't?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mumford and Sons
    Brit Awards
    Sons
    Mumford
    making music
  3. DRW

DRW New Member

I doubt it.

4. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Did the mention anything about the Kapitol / registry debacle ?

;););););)

5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Oh no, the fact they didn't mention it means Sony Boy's going to be on with the fact that Mumford & Sons have confirmed the benefits of Kapitol

6. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

:clap::clap::clap:

7. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

Tell you what I'm sick of the friday calls to dep for their **** bass section. I'm demanding to be credited on the next album!

And they can up my pay to a large donner next time!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Who?

9. HBB

HBB Active Member

They're pretty famous...

10. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

They are a popular beat combo of a type favoured by younger people. I believe the style of music they play is called 'skiffle'.

11. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

They're very nice, though, and will wait for you.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mumford and Sons
    Brit Awards
    Sons
    Mumford
    making music
  13. ben16

ben16 Member

help us out here. What section are they in?

14. JR

JR Member

...mmm, Emanuel Ax, the great pianist doesn't seem to have been damaged by winning the Rubinstein piano competition nearly 40 yrs ago though
    ..or Radu Lupu winning the Leeds etc etc

JR

15. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Ah, but having won, they then don't go back for another go every year ad infinitum. They use it once to make their name, and move on. Emanuel Ax has not made winning competitions a major focus of his music making activities in the 40 years since his win.

Same with the Moscow competition, or the BBC YMOTY, or the Donatella Flick conducting competition, or indeed virtually any other musical competition you could name.

16. JR

JR Member

Dont think this is entirely correct - from memory I think Lupu won several contests in the 60s before entering the Leeds

17. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, apologies JR - Wikipedia says that he won 3 between 1966-69. The Enescu and Van Cliburn Competitions, finished up winning the Leeds in 1969. The fact remains he hasn't been back for another crack at them every year since though.

I'm not as rabidly anti-contest as James, by the way, but there are definitely times when less obsession with contesting and rankings, and more with playing good stuff to paying audiences would be healthier for brass bands in general and the repertoire in particular. IMHO, of course ;)