A Question Re Prestige Cornet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by CaharleyFarley, Nov 23, 2004.

1. The Prestige cornet has a third valve trigger and a main tuning slide trigger. The question is, why does it have a third valve trigger? Surely the main slide trigger will perform the same job...........

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Prestige
    cornet
    tuning slide trigger
    slide trigger
    Question
  3. impycornet

impycornet Member

Because it's a gimick to try to sell more !!

4. Owen S

Owen S Member

Well, I think you'd do better to ask why the main slide trigger is there at all.

The third valve trigger is there because the 1/3 and 1/2/3 note combinations are significantly sharp, 1/2/3 more so than 1/3. In any passage of, say, quavers, you only usually want the notes using the third valve to be flattened, and then not if they're A-flats or low E-flats. Moving the main slide trigger out and back in consistently for each of these notes is far harder than holding the third valve trigger out until you hit an E flat.

Conversely, the main tuning slide changes the tuning of every note. When on a cornet are you likely to need to quickly change the tuning of the whole instrument so far that you can't just lip it? Perhaps when using a particular mute, and that's about it. I would expect this trigger to be used a lot less than the standard third valve trigger.

5. fluk

fluk New Member

prestige

Ive had mine 3 or is it 4 years and totally agree with owen (except his first paragraph!).
    what a godsend for "softly awakes my heart" - sansom and deli.......arr phillip sparke-those bottom c sharps-at last in tune.
    yes its a gimmick but worth every penny-thanks "Parkers"!
    thanks roger - creep creep!
    doesn't it look pretty as well!
    what about that big 3 mouthpeice-did you realise its the same size (except the external backbore) as the flugel 3!
    I have no reservations-well done bessons.