A Question Re Prestige Cornet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by CaharleyFarley, Nov 23, 2004.

1. The Prestige cornet has a third valve trigger and a main tuning slide trigger. The question is, why does it have a third valve trigger? Surely the main slide trigger will perform the same job...........
  2. impycornet

impycornet Member

Because it's a gimick to try to sell more !!
  3. Owen S

Owen S Member

Well, I think you'd do better to ask why the main slide trigger is there at all.

The third valve trigger is there because the 1/3 and 1/2/3 note combinations are significantly sharp, 1/2/3 more so than 1/3. In any passage of, say, quavers, you only usually want the notes using the third valve to be flattened, and then not if they're A-flats or low E-flats. Moving the main slide trigger out and back in consistently for each of these notes is far harder than holding the third valve trigger out until you hit an E flat.

Conversely, the main tuning slide changes the tuning of every note. When on a cornet are you likely to need to quickly change the tuning of the whole instrument so far that you can't just lip it? Perhaps when using a particular mute, and that's about it. I would expect this trigger to be used a lot less than the standard third valve trigger.
  4. fluk

fluk New Member

Ive had mine 3 or is it 4 years and totally agree with owen (except his first paragraph!).
    what a godsend for "softly awakes my heart" - sansom and deli.......arr phillip sparke-those bottom c sharps-at last in tune.
    yes its a gimmick but worth every penny-thanks "Parkers"!
    thanks roger - creep creep!
    doesn't it look pretty as well!
    what about that big 3 mouthpeice-did you realise its the same size (except the external backbore) as the flugel 3!
    I have no reservations-well done bessons.