A question I'd like an answer to.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

In another post elsewhere on tmp John mentioned that tmp would soon be coming up to 36 months live, now, this got me thinking.....

When you have a baby when do you stop giving it's age in weeks and change it to months? THen when does the child stop being however many months old and start being a number of years and a half (for example 3 and a 1/2) and then when do we stop having the half bit and just become the number.Then when do you change to just being in you early/late something and finally just to being old?

It just got me thinking and I wondered if there were any rules? Is it just taht when you age the years become a little bit more irrelevant - maybe it's all about proportion

:confused:
    Does anybody else have any thoughts like this that are causing little problems to there ever so busy minds that need solving. I have no doubt that tMP will help me answer my question!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    John
    number of years
    little bit
    tmp John
    little problems
  3. Steve

Steve Active Member

We should have debated this last night around the profound conversation table. We could have found the answer to world peace with that much brain power opperating together

4. HBB

HBB Active Member

But we found some more important information!

Elin and Caroline are similar Stevo!

5. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Children become one year old and after that, 18 months old!! You have a good question here, one of which I'm not even going to attempt answering. But then I am over 315 months old!! I think...................

6. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Ah - you mean the rhyme for the lines of the treble clef - Every Girlrs Bra Doesn't Fit - sorry twigs, don't mean it really :biggrin:

7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think that is the cut off. You are 17 months old, then 1 1/2 years old until your 2.

8. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Another question I've always wanted an answer to.

How long does a bridge have to be before it's a tunnel? Or conversely, how short does a tunnel have to be before it's called a bridge?

Puss

9. andyp

andyp Active Member

I asked my eldest. She's definitely three, then she'll be 3 and a half.

I reckon the half ceases to be important when it's not such a big part of your age, when you're 3, half is a lot, but not when you're 13?

You do months for the first 2 years, then halves till about 10/11 ish, then full years to 21, then every 5 25 to 40, then every 10 from then on, it seems.

10. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

LittleBabyBadger was aged in weeks until about 13 weeks, then months until about 13 months. I guess she'll be in halves until she's 13 years old, by that reckoning.And Bagpuss, you really should know better. Tunnels, no matter how short, are cut underneath things. Bridges, no matter how long, are flung over things. Honestly. Anyone would think you'd never tried to damage British Waterways property with several ton of steel hulled narrow boat...:rolleyes:
    BMB
    xx

11. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Close.

Somewhere about mid-late thirties, you become 'middle-aged', and years are ignored. Middle-aged is enough.

Then 'late middle-aged', followed by 'elderly'.

Then, at some unspecified age 'twixt 70 and 80, your real age (in years) becomes important again - 'I'm 73, and still control my own bladder, you know'.

And then, depending on the individual, months begin to matter again - 'I'm 95 years and 7 months old, I've still got me own teeth, they're in that matchbox...'

If you've lasted that long, senile delinquency follows, and then the real second childhood, when all you can eat is milk and rusks...

And then you're counting days, up to the telegram and (maybe) the Guiness book of records....

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    John
    number of years
    little bit
    tmp John
    little problems
  13. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Like your logic there BMB, however, what about these 'cut and cover' tunnels such as the one built and subsequently demolished at Gerrards Cross? They are built with nothing over them and then covered (in this case to provide land for a Tesco store). Whilst referring to British Waterways property, what about the tunnel at Ellesmere?? It is officially a tunnel but was not cut 'under' anything. They could have built a bridge to take the road over the top.

As for damaging British Waterways property, I have no recollection of such an event taking place. You can't prove it and if you can, I'll blame it on Jessops Smythes wife's questionable narrowboat driving skills. And whilst we're on the subject, it was 20tons opf narrowboat hull, not just several. It might have made an important difference if the particular event in question ever took place!!!

Puss

14. bigmamabadger

Don't try and blind me with science, it always works. And onto the second point, LittleBabyBadger's first two phrases were "Bagpuss bang" and "Annie bang". I maintain that the "Bagpuss bang" came first. I reckon I could still find bits of brick dust in that boat if I could remember what it was called. 20 tons of narrow boat at ramming speed makes quite a dent in an old bridge. Lucky the sparks didn't set light to anything important.
    :tongue:
    BMB
    xx

15. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

I would hazard a guess that although LittleBabyBadger uttered what are quite similar phrases, the reasons behind them are likely to be VERY different!!! If the 'ramming' event ever happened, I'd imagine that a large brick built bridge make an equally large dent in a 20 ton narrowboat, especially a freshly painted one!!

If this event ever took place, I'd have to use a 'female' excuse:

The bridge just jumped out at me

or

It's moved, it wasn't there last time

or

There was a tree in front of it. Think yourself lucky I missed that!!

Puss

16. bigmamabadger

Now that sounds vaguely familiar. The tree would not have caused quite so much damage. Had it been in the way at the time of course, which it wasn't since it didn't exist and I wasn't there to not see you miss the tree and careen into the bridge at a speed well in excess of 4 mph.
    The rending noise I didn't hear as the side of the boat ripped through the crumbling brickwork will not haunt me for the rest of my life.:tongue:
    BMB
    xx

17. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

Why, when swimming is so good for you, do whales have so much fat?

18. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Cut and Cover is the technique used for near street level tube lines, such as the District line.

The technique at Gerards Cross bears little similarity to this. It involves covering the whole of the exisiting track bed in a metal tube, then covering it in stages with earth.

19. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

That's being a little picky don't you think?? The area around the gerrards cross tunnel was removed first before the prefabricated tunnel was put in place, it was then covered over with soil. I understand that cut and cover is used for sub surface tube lines and also for certain tunnels on the channel tunnel rail link but I used the gerrards cross example to illustrate a point and because at the time more people would have heard about that tunnel and how it was constructed than would have heard about tunnels on the CTRL.

Puss

20. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Indeed. And why is abbreviation such a long word??

21. NeilW

NeilW Member

No, it was you cover the whole track with a concrete tube, then pile earth on top of it at which point the concrete collases and covers the track with a mixture of concete and earth and you take a couple of months to clear it all up again.

And then, if you're local, you blame the whole thing on Tesco - particularly when you're late for a meeting that one of their directors is at because the train was late (happened at a meeting my wife was at!) :)

Oh, and to answer the original question: 188 months (at least!) or is that 814 weeks :)

Neil.

22. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Close. What you meant to say was that you cover the whole track with a concrete tube then pile earth BADLY AND UNEVENLY on top of it at which point the tunnel collapses.

You also don't have to be local to blame it on Tesco!!!!

Puss