A question for our North American contingent

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Jun 22, 2005.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I have recently been informed that my company is moving to Panama City, Florida. The UK plant will be run down by September 2006 and some of us will be offered jobs in USA.

Does anyone know of any brass bands/wind bands/big bands/orchestras or any other outlets in the Panama City/Florida area for my trombone playing tendancies ?

2. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

You could try the Brass Band of Central Florida, although I can't guarantee that they will be near your work / residence in Florida

BBCF

3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

LMFAO!!!

I think Central Florida hails from the Orlando area...about a 6.5 hour drive from Panama City in the Pan Handle!!

I'll see what else I can dig up.

4. DublinBass

5. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

BBCBari is correct - the Brass Band of Central Florida is based in the Orlando area, which is quite a stretch away. There is also the Sunshine Brass Band, but they are in Tampa Bay which is not really any closer. As far as I know, those are the two brass bands in the entire state of Florida.

Given Panama City's location, you might try searching for brass bands in Georgia and Alabama as well. I know there's a brass band in Atlanta, which is still too far. A quick search on Google for "brass band Georgia" tells me there might be one in Bainbridge GA, which is only 100 miles away from PC. I know nothing about it, however...not even if it's active.

Otherwise, your best bet is going to be to find some other ensemble to play with. Most communities have some sort of concert band or wind ensemble, but you may have to dig around for those. If there's a college or university with a performing arts program nearby, that might be a good place to start - they might know of some groups in the area and who to contact.

All the best if you do end up in Florida!

-Lothian

6. mcbm

mcbm New Member

What about Georgia?

What about Georgia? Is Atlanta closer than Orlando? I believe Chris Priest conducts a brass band there.

7. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

I believe that's three in a row

8. DublinBass

It is about equidistant...depending on which side of each town you are trying to get to.

PJH

9. [sigh]...such is the state of brass banding in America. :(

Your best bet is probably with a community concert band. However, I'm beginning to really like the concert/symphonic band and wind ensemble--so it wouldn't exactly be pergatory, unless the band were particularly awful! :eek:

Aaron

10. stevetrom

Thanks for the suggestions, the move (if it happens) is a little way off but (end of the year or early 2006) but you have to try and get the important things sorted and things don't get much more important than playing !

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    contingent
    North American
    company
    Florida
    some
  12. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

You'll have to get your SA uniform out again, Steve, and sign up to one of their bands! ;)

13. stevetrom

unless the rules have been relaxed an awfully long way I don't think I would match up to the required standards !!

14. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

. . . And the closest SA bands are also in Tampa or Atlanta. Not much going on brass-band wise in the deep South.

15. Brass Nut

Brass Nut New Member

You won't find much for arts in that area. I would seriously consider not moving there. On an A/V forum, a resident of the area referred to it as the "Redneck Riviera". To be sure, once out of the major, cities Florida is very redneck (Read: uncultured and limited in mental capacity). I know, I live in another rural area of Florida.

16. stevetrom

So where do you find a group to play with?

17. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Sarasota (on the Gulf coast) is not one of the major cities in Florida but it has to be one of the most culturally active, which is one of the reason I chose to live there. It has a fine professional symphony orchestra (the West Coast Symphony), a professional opera house (with a number of different operas rotating each spring), choral groups, a community concert band, several first-class theatres, an annual music festival, an annual film festival, a performing arts centre which hosts concerts by touring international music groups, broadway shows, and top entertainers. The public library system is splendid, offering lectures, etc. and there are many special interest societies.

Plenty of holiday-makers can attest to it wonderful beaches, great boating/fishing facilties and if you're an art collector there are a number of galleries to brouse. It has its own airport (and Tampa is only 60 miles to the north). But don't tell too many people as I like its slightly exclusive feel.;)

18. Brass Nut

Brass Nut New Member

Well, I don't. Unfortunately, I really haven't played in years. I haven’t even found a basic wind band to play with much less a brass band. I don’t play at a pro level, so a community band would be what I’d need.

19. Brass Nut

Brass Nut New Member

Yeah, Sarasota is nice. While not a major city, it's not rural either. I find the Gulf Coast much nicer than the Atlantic.

20. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

21. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

Oh, and their Civic Center looks beautiful and as a special bonus if you hurry and arrive before September you can catch Comdian Ron "Tater Salid" White."

Talk about diversity - Sesame Street Live, Ron White and Moscow Ballet all on the same stage (obviously not at the same time, although that would be a show!)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    contingent
    North American
    company
    Florida
    some