A question for footie fans

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chunky, May 6, 2004.

I think Norwich will

1. Definetly relegated

2. Just stay up

3. Mid Table

0 vote(s)
  1. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

As most of you know, Norwich City are mine and Maestros team. Currently we are absolutely delighted that the Yellas are back in the Premiership as Champions of the Nationwide.

I am too biased to answer this, but there are several footie fans on here who talk sensibly and rationally about the subject.

So why do the media seem convinced more than any other year that the Champions will be relegated?

We accept it will be hard and success will probably be 4th from bottom! Yes there is a gulf between the two leagues which is becoming vaster.

Norwich are known as a nice friendly club who do play good football so why are we being written off more than any other promoted side in history.

They have a good fan base, a good manager and well organised finances which is more than a lot of previous promoted sides have had!

Look forward to some interesting comments
  2. Bassment Jinx

Bassment Jinx Member

I reckon you got a decent chance of staying up. We managed it :D (Pompey). The first season is the hardest though.
  3. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Although I am also a tad biased, I'm going to answer this one.
    I think we will stay in mid table.
    We have a good set of players, a good mix of youth and experience, and as you say Chunky, good finances.

Look what happened a couple of years ago........
    that lot from down the road to us qualified for Europe, and we all thought that they would only ever get into europe if there was another World War!
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

There's the key I think - some new blood is definitely required - preferably with some Premiership experience (please buy Heskey!! ;) )

If Norwich are to have any chance of staying up - and I believe they do have a chance - then a good start is essential. Portsmouth had a great start last year as opposed to Wolves who had a not so good start - coupled with Pompey's good run of late, the start they had has surely helped them in their quest to stay up.

Like I said, I believe you have a good chance of staying up - but are one of a fair number of teams who will be battling all season against the drop.

IMO of course! ;)
  5. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

We've got more chance of staying up than Heskey has! :wink: :lol: :D
  6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Ha-ha! I set that one up nicely, didn't I!!!! (Again, something Heskey has no chance of doing! ;) )
  7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

:wink: :twisted:
  8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I think Norwich will surprise a few people next season. I see them finishing in mid table security after an initial relegation scare. Good luck to them whatever.

9. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I know for a fact that that is a priority for the close season. Problem is that at the moment Norwich are being linked with more footballers than Rebecca Loos and Jordan have in their address books!

Latest potential signings that I have read or heard about:

Joe Cole - Chelsea - Loan - Yeah Right!
    Jermaine Pennant - Arsenal - Loan - Trouble maker?
    David Bentley - Arsenal - Loan - Like the sound of that
    Manu Petit - Chelsea - Permenant - Looking for a last pay day
    Maurice Ross - Rangers - Perm - Dont know a lot about him
    Shota Arveladze - Rangers - Perm - Ditto

Anyone else got any suggestions? Dyl, Heskey is not an option, thanks all the same!
  10. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

staying up!!!!!!

As a might Wolves fan ( not in mourning ) I hope Norwich stay up as would love to play you in two seasons time ( 6 points for wolves for a start ).....I am joking. was a shame to hear the Ginger Ninja Iwan Roberts is being released...am sure with his mad toothless grin he could scare a few premiership defenders..what the mighty wolves lacked this season is a defence!!! and a bit of class ( we came good too late in the season , and beating Man Utd at home was a disaster!!!!)...gawd please buy Jody Craddock , and Paul Butler...come on lets get Matt Murrey and Joeleon Lescott back to full health and not lose our League status in the first 6 games...was awful getting turned over by Blackburn first day of this season....And please West Brom buy our invisible Norweigan "star" Steffan Iverson, and Silas " I am a portugese International , but couldnt hit a barn door with a combine harvester!!!!!"
    GO FOR IT NORWICH.....And well done to Pompey for staying up
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I think Joe Cole might have been a possibility if Ranieri had stayed! Pennant? Did more at Arsenal than he did at Leeds? Bentley? Hands off! (Tell you what, if you want an Arsenal player, you can have Lehmann!) Petit? Past it.

Veron (Chelsea) - Most overrated player in Europe
    Ferguson (Everton) - how he's stayed in the top flight as a striker is beyond me. Spot the link.... last season, Ferguson largely sidelined, Rooney comes to prominence, Everton have best season in years. This season, Ferguson involved more, Everton (and Fergsuon) become their usual predictable selves in attack.... struggle against relegation again. Go figure. Disciplinary problems too.

How about Alan Smith? Now he's said he's leaving Leeds, I think he'd benefit from a new challenge. Seems to have curbed his discpline problems to a degree too.
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think sometimes a recently-promoted team can get off to a flying start: firstly they are generally on a high after the promotion campaign, and secondly they can be something of an unknown quantity, and the existing sides aren't sure how best to play against them. I reckon that, with a good start to the season, they should be able to stay clear of the relegation dogfight, although mid-table may be a little optimistic.

I think sometimes the second season can be much harder than the first, as any advantage from the promotion campaign has gone, and things may become more of a slog. Equally, I don't know that getting too many new players in is a good idea, as it can unsettle the side and make existing players restless.

Good luck, anyway!
  13. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

How about this for an idea?

We have Mr Henry and you can have Mr Roberts :idea: :roll: :shock:
  14. dyl

dyl Active Member

:shock: Imagine Iwan Roberts saying 'What is va-va-voom' in his broad North Walian accent!!! :roll:
  15. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Teeth in or out?
  16. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

The mind boggles :shock: :shock:
  17. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Sorry, but I really don't see any of the promoted clubs (whoever they may be) next year staying up. To be fair to Norwich, there is little doubt that their most influential player is Huckerby, who in all honesty is without doubt a great Div 1 player but has yet to do anything of great note in the premiership, bar a few glimpses of brilliance for Coventry.

I think to stay up a team needs to have someone with proven premiership class. Leicester tried it but bought too old and brought in too many ex-Newcastle defenders :oops: Sir Les, bless him, has put in a gallant effort for them but they had no pace or ideas up front.

Wolves are just too fragile and again lack ideas. They never seem likely to pull something special out of the bag. And anyway, Carl Cort the cripple and mackem Rae.... need i say more??

Portsmouth, with the totally perplexing LuaLua and the almost as random Yakubu have players that can do the unexpected and coupled with the proven quality of Sheringham and Berger, had a good, organised side. Also, they have goals in them. Leicester and Wolves always had question marks over whether they would score goals, Portsmouth not so much. And these reasons are why i believe Pompey have avoided the drop.

Norwich though? Huckerby has pace and will run at people but as before stated isn't really premiership quality. If Norwich bring in a couple of experienced premiership players who are willing to dig in and fight it out and have a good, dangerous, potent front 2..... who knows. Combine with this with the rapidly imploding Man City, the 2nd season syndrome about to hit Portsmouth and the averageness that is Spurs....

But if I had to bet on it right now, my money would be on 3 promoted relegatees. Having watched Sheff Utd v Ipswich the other week, neither of those teams looked anywhere near Premiership quality, so god help them if they get through the play-offs. West Brom, no real goalscorer. And as the mackems??? Don't make me laugh! 6 points next seasons though! :D
  18. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I my basic Welsh....
    "Hei Bobi....Be ydy fafa fwm...*beep*"

I think the best Toothless player ever...well next to Nobby Stiles!!!!!

Edit: Sorry Nick! Can't allow that word! (dyl)
    Sorry Dyl......nj
  19. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I'd really like to say thay I think Norwich will stay up but I can't. Norwich will not bankrupt themselves so I think that they won't be able to buy the quality to stay up, and I think Harry at Pompey has got the corner on that market.
    However if teams like Everton don't sort themselves out in the summer they may be at the bottom, giving the promoted teams a chance.
  20. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Thank heavens this is a friendly forum. Otherwise I might be tempted to respond using two words usually associated with sex and travel. And in that order! ;-) :lol: :lol: