A question for BBC Bari

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, May 3, 2005.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

As a physics teacher, Pat, can you please explain something that was a complete mystery to me despite 4 years working in the Radiocommunications Agency.

"What is Radio?"

2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Radio Waves are the longest electromagnetic waves. The wavelength is ~1 m or longer.
    Other EM waves include ultraviolet, visible light, gamma rays, X-rays, Infrared and Microwaves.

A radio is a device that can detect these wavelengths and convert electromagnetic radiation into sound energy.
  3. Will the Sec

Thank you, Pat.

Now, can you explain it in words a non radio spectrum engineer can understand? :biggrin:
  4. DublinBass

C'mon will...that's 3rd form GCSE speak ;)
  5. euphybeast

euphybeast Member

Yeah 'tis simple Will!
  6. DublinBass

How 'bout this...just like sound waves have different properties to our ears depending on their wavelength (short wavelength = high pitch, lond wavelength = low pitch), EM Waves have different properties...and therefore names, depending on their wavelength.

short wavelengths (gamma rays) are very piercing and harmful - like the short wavelengths that come out of a soprano.

the longest wavelengths are radio waves...kind of the BBb bass of the EM spectrum.
  7. Will the Sec

Yeah, but the thing I still don't get is if you have a match stick on the outer edge of a pond, and you drop a brick into the pond, why does the match stick get blown out of the water, when it supposed to gently oscillate?
  8. andyp

andyp Active Member

That's cos the brick, being heavy, puts a lot of energy into the water, moving it in a wave, which then has enough energy to flip a very light thing such as a match a long way. Dropping the match in would make a wave so small as to have not much effect on anything.

Potential energy is proportional to the mass of something and the height you drop it from. Allegedy you can crack paving stones under skyscrapers by dropping pennies from the roof, but it works much, much better with a brick..........
  9. timbloke

timbloke Member

How about the fly that stops a train....

If, at time A, a fly is flying due north at a speed of 4mph, and a train is travelling due south at a speed of 100mph, when the meet, time B, they become "as one". However the fly is now travelling due south at a speed of 100mph, time C, so inbetween time A and time C, the fly has stopped, turned around and accelerated. The only point this could have happened is when the two collided, time B, therefore the train must also have stopped for that fraction of a second and accelerated really fast to get back to its original speed. So the fly must have stopped the train... ;)
  10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Nope the fly is now a smudge on the windscreen - ask Dave Ralph.
  11. DublinBass

Why does the train have to have stopped? It could just deccelerate a bit. A negative accleration by no means means the velocity has reached zero!

(I hope that came across okay...Kind of reminds me of when Austin powers said "Allow myself to introduce..myself")
  12. six pints

six pints Active Member

noooo!! im on here to get away from physics!!! evil!!

(ok i love it really. im such a geek at heart)
  13. DublinBass

Six Pints...I have been dazzled by your eloquent use of the Geordie tongue...Is there any chance I will ever meet you? Will you be at the Spring Festival. whit Fridays? the Masters?
  14. timbloke

timbloke Member

Yes well I know that, but I was trying to confuse anyone who hasn't done A Level physics.
  15. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

You'll have to come to Durham Miners Gala!! :D
  16. six pints

six pints Active Member

as my lovely geordie comrade said, i shall be at durham picnic (however wont have a house in durham nemore so no chance of a massive house party after :(). i shall also be partaking in the consumption of several alcoholic beverages at the fair town of easingwold at the end of june (but no cheeky vimtos, i was a naughty girl on the way home last year). I hope to meet as many tmp'ers as poss, cos i didnt seem to find many at skeggy and we dont go to pontins, and i like knowing people (means my band dont get as annoyed with me cos they get a bit of break from me). So im expecting lots of random people to come and talk to me! or even better, buy me a drink!