A player in Switzerland's top division has been left without a finger...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Dec 6, 2004.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

BERN (Reuters) - [size=-1] A player in Switzerland's top division has been left without a finger after a goal celebration went horribly wrong. [/size]

[size=-1] Servette midfielder Paulo Diogo was forced to have his left ring finger amputated on Sunday after catching it on a perimeter fence during his side's 4-1 win at Schafthausen. [/size][size=-1]The 29-year-old Swiss-Portuguese player jumped up on the fence in celebration after setting up his team's third goal. [/size]

[size=-1] Diogo, who got married recently failed to notice, however, that his wedding ring was caught in the metal barrier and severed the top two joints of the finger as he jumped back down. [/size]

[size=-1] He was then shown a yellow card for his excessive celebration. [/size][size=-1]Doctors at a Zurich hospital were unable to re-attach the finger joints and advised the amputation of the remaining stump. [/size]

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Paulo Diogo
    player
    finger
    font=arial
    ring finger
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I bet that referee must have felt really proud of himself.....

4. Di

Di Active Member

ouch! :-(

5. six pints

six pints Active Member

just about to have sausages for dinner... eww!!!

6. rutty

rutty Active Member

That's a rule that FIFA should bring in actually. Players should leave the pitch with as many limbs (attached) as they went on with - failure to comply should result in a yellow card.

Seems fair. About as fair as the shirt over the head thing anyway. :)

7. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

dont think a yellow card is fair at all, should be a straight red, someone could injour themselves doing that!:rolleyes:

On a serious note i hope the Paulo is feeling better soon

8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I thought (from the title) it referred to Switzerland's top division brass bands, and I was thinking he could still play the trombone....

(For LBB - how many fingers am I holding up...)

9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

handy..... :)

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I was thinking he might sue the football ground owners for his injury but he'd find it difficult to find anyone to point an accusing finger at.....

11. rutty

rutty Active Member

There's an awful pun in there somewhere. I'd point it out, but I just can't put my finger on it :8

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Paulo Diogo
    player
    finger
    font=arial
    ring finger
  13. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

>>I was thinking he might sue the football ground owners for his injury but he'd find it
    >>difficult to find anyone to point an accusing finger at.....

Surely in his situation that would be pointless, unless of course someone had taken some digital photographs of the incident.

Of course if it had happened as a result of him kicking th fence he woudn't have a leg to stand on.

14. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I have no wish to know how many fingers you have up, as this is a family forum