A Personal Thankyou To Grimethorpe....

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Thirteen Ball, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

....and particularly to Rob Westacott.

Just before Christmas, I was approached by Rob, who had an idea for a cornet solo he wanted arranged for him to play with Grimethorpe.

The piece in question was the song "Stars" from the musical 'Les Miserables.' Obviously I jumped at the chance! What arranger wouldn't? Although that said, I was pretty nervous about putting pen to paper for one of banding's biggest names, particularly on such a well-known and loved song...

To cut a long story short, the arrangement was completed and copyright permission obtained, and the band featured it on their programme at Parr hall in Warrington on Saturday night. I was in the audience for the premier, and it's very probably the proudest moment of my banding career so far. In fact I'm still buzzing from it now!

To anyone interested to hear what the end result was like, there is a recording of the premier here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AalDzl9rgWs - which I took on my phone from the audience... and as it's my arrangement I doubt I'm infringing any intellectual copyright by posting it!

So I just wanted to use this forum to thank Rob for the opportunity, and Grimethorpe band for inviting me to come and listen and putting on such an awesome show! It was a very special occasion for me - one that'll definitely stay with me forever.

PS: I must also add a vote of thanks to Mike Howley and Grange Moor band who allowed Rob and I to hijack 20 minutes of one of their rehearsals to work out some of the kinks in the scoring. Thankyou!!

2. Martin

Martin Member

Congratulations, Andi. Very nice arrangement. Must have been a hell of moment for you. Nice one! :tup

3. yoda

yoda Member

Excellent work chap :) and v pleased for you. Its wonderful to see top class bands giving time to arrangers too.

Keep up the good work, and please let us all know if you get publishing permission. I am sure there are many who would love to purchase and perform this top class arrangement

4. agentorange

agentorange Member

Congratulations Andi, nice work..x

5. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Andi, well done!

Although clearly as a shop steward of the BBb bass playing union I am going to have to warn you to calm down. People will start claiming to have found artificial intellegence in the basses. :biggrin:

6. Thirteen Ball

Well they'd never find natural intelligence amongst us would they? ;)

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you like it. I've had a few of PMs about the availability of the arangement so rather than reply to everyone individually I thought I'd post it here.

No it's not avalable yet as the only legal copies are with Rob and Grimethorpe - however a publisher has shown an interest too so, pending approval and all the legalities of copyright, it may be available fairly soon. Watch this space... :)

7. Thirteen Ball

Hi all.

Resurrecting an old thread due to new developments!

To cut a long story short, after the initially interested publisher said they'd look at it.... then sat on the piece - I lost my patience, so had a word with Gavin Somerset at Pennine Music.

Like a pro, he's turned the copyright permission and everything round in about 48 hours - so the score is now available! :clap:

You can check out the scorch file and order a copy here:

http://www.penninemusic.com/show_score_details.php?id=137&tf=S8.rtf

And if you've missed Grimethorpe playing it out and want to know how it sounds in the hands of the cornet Maestro it was written for, there's a youtube video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AalDzl9rgWs