A night off?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tom-King, Mar 11, 2007.

How many practices do you have off after a contest?

1. None

2. 1 Practice

3. 2 Practices

4. More

0 vote(s)
  5. Depends on the type of contest

1. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Having just had a contest, we now have the week off, and I know ill be kinda bored :(.

Was just wondering how many bands take time off after a contest, and how much?

(EDIT: I know it depends on the type of contest, I guess if you cant remember what you normally do, just put how many nights you have off after this contest)
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

As a rule, none. Although if we have had a good result we do tend to finish at half-time and go down the pub!
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

None, even after winning!
    we have a CD to prepare for in 2 months to celebrate our 3oth aniversary.
    As well as a number of concerts.
    no rest for the wicked
    ( i must be really bad!!)
  4. Tom-King

Well, you said it Craig :p
  5. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

We've got the Fife Band Festival in 5 weeks or so, and not even got a program together yet, but we're having a party on Thurs after winning the Scottish 3rd Section yest, so night off I suppose, wahey!!!
  6. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Unless we have another engagement soon after a contest, we usually have the Monday night after the contest off. Think this time we're getting the Wednesday off too so that the new Committee can have their first meeting after the AGM
  7. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Usually have at least the one rehearsal off, but got the whole week off this week. Gives you a chance to catch up with your real life!! :-?
  8. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

I'd usually let the band have 1 night off afterwards, but with a concert on 1st April, and Weston contest only 2 months away, we're working hard.
  9. annieds

annieds Member

I don't think that we've had a night off after a contest, but attendance tends to be poor even after a good result. I hate the post-contest lull. We're competing on Saturday and I would put money on seeing just 8 at practice on Monday. (Add the fact that it's St Patrick's day and everyone becomes an honourary Irishman).
    It isn't that I don't have a life, it's just that my life has band practice built into its Mondays
  10. postie

postie Member

No night off at all band will carry on as normal no rest for the wicked at all!!!!!
  11. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Had Sunday off because our conductor was playing in a higher section. Still had practice with my other band though.
  12. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Almost always without exception the next rehearsal we have off. Then it's straight back into it. Seems only fair after the rehearsing pretty much every day the week prior to the contest.
  13. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

It changes! At last year's areas we didn't have any time off - I remember turning up on the Monday to a full band room! This year we've got Monday off, but it's back to normal after that. I don't think we'd ever have more than one practise cancelled after a contest though.
  14. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

It depends. If our area is on the Sunday then we normally get the Monday night off.

However our MD is of the opinion we should not have the night off because
    1) If its a bad result we need to get practising
    2) If its a good result we should build on the success!
  15. Souter

Souter Member

We have the week off but our practice nights are Sunday and Thursday. Areas was late on the Saturday night and the bus did not get back home to our town until 1.30 in the morning (should have been a lot quicker but weak bladder problems seemed to prevail!) Hence no practice on the Sunday night. We are also in local AmDram season so the thursday night would not have a full contingent due to other playing commitments.
  16. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

a night off

Last year we did not have a night off as we started rehearsals for Weston, (I hate back to back contests) but we usually have the first rehearsal off even after concert Think it is to allow certain members to sober up!!!
  17. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

We're having tomorrow night off MD away, committe Weds night But most of us are turning out in force tommorrow (Tues) afternoon to play at our treasurers funeral :(
  18. Tom-King

I wonder who that could mean.... ;)
  19. malrep

malrep New Member

No nights off for us either - straight into concert program for next few weeks !
  20. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

we've been given monday off after L&SC areas at the weekend....

to be honest, would rather be at band and playing something other than the Wayfarer!!!

Didn't have a rehearsal off after Butlins cos we started the test piece!