A New Tune A Day

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ABERDEEN LOON, Oct 3, 2008.

I am looking for some advice from the teachers out there.

I was looking to buy an new tutor book for a young trombonist that I have just taken on. Although she has been playing for about 2-3 years, she needs to go right back to basics with regard to both reading music and playing the instrument. I was going to buy the New Tune a Day book that comes with cd etc as she has been using look listen, learn book one isn't reading the music. When I saw it on tinternet, I can't see if they are bass or treble clef. Do they come in both?

Any comments or advice is welcome.
  2. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

the old one came in Both cleffs as seperate books,trombone Treble and trombone bass, one would assume it would be the same with the new books
  3. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I've got a new edition tune a day for trombone that is in bass clef. Don't know if there's a treble clef edition available, my guess is probably not. I do notice that the new edition appears to have a picture of someone who looks not unlike Prince Harry playing trombone on the front cover!

4. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Why not pm JonP, I believe he has progressed to that one now :evil: :biggrin:
  5. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

My husband Simon has just written a complete set of new tutor books for all brass and woodwind instruments with backing CD or the choice of downloadable tracks. PM for me details or visit www.modefor.co.uk for the full list.

6. Despot

Despot Member

No. We moved over to the new trumpet/cornet version last year. A treble trombone wasn't available then. Give it time perhaps? The old brown Tune a Day in treble is still available though and worth a look.

The old trombone version is a little out of date when looking at the tunes and formatting. I don't think that it would do much to inspire and motivate her!
  8. Despot

Despot Member

It's dated alright!

Could try "Abracadabra Brass: Treble Clef Edition". Very tune based, and has a nice modern look. No CD though.

After using "New Tune A Day" for a year, I'm not totally convienced that having a CD with a tutor book is really that much of an advantage early on.

However, tune books with backing CDs are great fun when they are a little further on and able to read. "New Tune A Day: Performance Pieces" is very good and resonably priced.
  9. Moy

Moy Active Member

I use Team Brass and it comes with CD as well. Although I very rarely use the CD at school.
    If you get the Team Brass (Brass Band) version it has trombone slide positions and valve instrument fingering in it. Pupils seem to like it.