A new piece for band

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by mikelyons, Jul 1, 2011.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hi All,

I've just completed a new piece for band. Someone I know recommended that I approach one of the major publishers to get it out there, rather than the usual small company route. Could anyone suggest who might be the best to approach for this kind of piece?

You can have a listen at: Make My Day and then, maybe, give me an idea of who might be interested. The work is test piece length (approx 12 mins) and is very lyrical, has a fair bit of percussion and has 8 sections or movements (the 'promenade' connects the other sections together).

Listen to the mp3, rather than the scorch and, if any band is willing to have a go at recording a real version of it, I'd be grateful for that, too. I think it's probably 1st section difficulty, though a very good 2nd section band might pull it off.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi All
    new piece
    piece length
    section band
    kind of piece
  3. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Link to Make My Day doesn't seem to be working...

No - apologies it seems OK now.

4. mikelyons

87 views but no comments - is it that bad? :oops:

5. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

It sound rather jolly! I think it diffinitely allows you to picture the scene of the circus

6. mikelyons

Thank you Getz, I think it's one of my best compositions so far and it certainly does follow its programme closely. There's something in it for almost everybody, especially the sop, solo horn and baritone and the flugel.
    I repeat - if any band is willing to take it on and do a recording, I'd be very grateful.

7. Fat_Bari

Fat_Bari Member

Very impressive from an old Dreghorn boy, listened a few times and could easily see it growing on people. Horn and bari parts look good but will be hard work if I ever had to play them.

8. mikelyons

Indeed, Jimmy, and do we know each other?

I thank you for your compliments. More than one listen is good.

I'm looking for a band to play and record the piece and I'll give a free set of score and parts, a dedication and a £100 donation to any band willing to record it on a demo CD (or mp3) for me.

9. Fat_Bari

Fat_Bari Member

Hi Mike,

We did know each other, although it was some time ago by my reckoning about 36 years. I was a French horn player in the Scots DGs at Droghorn at the time and came from (and still live) in Mayfield where your wife came from (I had known Willie Watson for some time before joining up).

The band I play for is having a summer break at the moment so I can’t approach the conductor till we re-form.

Regarding a route to publication, Alan Fernie is a member on here and as the piece does sound technical enough to be considered as a possible test piece it might be worth PMing him as he may know of a rout via the Test piece panel or what ever the title they go under is.

Jimmy Murray

10. mikelyons

Thanks for that, Jimmy. Alan did, indeed, give me a few suggestions for publishing routes. He's a very helpful chap. It's a small world. I keep being reminded of those days of my mis-spent youth at the moment - much as I'd rather forget most of it. :(