A mouthpiece made of beech wood?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mesmerist, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I'm looking to buy a mouthpiece (Prestige 2Wfl) for my Conn Vintage One flugel without success... So browsing on Ebay I'm noticing these french handcrafted wooden ones and I'm curious. Has anyone tried one?
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  2. Mesmerist

No one? I'm going to have to be the first then aren't I. :)
  3. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Some fifteen years ago while on holiday in Switzerland and visiting an alpine horn manufacturers, I did try a few notes out of an all wooden alp horn. I haven't a clue what the mouthpiece wood was, but it seemed OK and created a nice sound. Being sure of what note I was playing though was something else! An experience I won't forget.
    Mesmerist likes this.
  4. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I am using a Mouthpiece made from Stainless Steel. The advertising said that more vibrations created by the lips were funnelled into it and less vibration was lost because it was much harder than Brass with either silver or gold plate.
    My register was extended both lower and higher by the use of this mouthpiece, and sound improved. I can only assume that using a softer materiel like wood could do the reverse.
    I have seen some Tuba mouthpieces made from timber and have not thought about using one.
    Matthew likes this.
  5. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

I tried a wooden mp once, quite an interesting experience. Always warm and somehow felt softer on the lips than metal. That's said, the surface isn't as smooth and slippery when moist so the lips felt less mobile over the surface. It had to be positioned correctly on the face as it wasn't easy to glide it into position once contact was made.
  6. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

7. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Aussie Tuba - may I ask where you purchased your mouthpiece from please? Sounds interesting! :)
  8. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

Yes yes, I did think as I typed it sounded like an excerpt from a Carry On film, but I couldn't be bothered to retype in a less salacious way. People can choose the manner in which they interpret what was written.
    Mesmerist likes this.
  9. Mesmerist

This is part of the advert;

Made from beech wood , an hard wood that have a very good mechanic resistance and provides great acoustic transmission ,the grain is fine and gives smooth surfaces .Wooden mouthpieces gives a mellower , more velvety timbre than the brass ones and the lip comfort is improved by the pleasant contact of the wood and the fact that it is nourished by a balm that hydrates your lips as you play .The touch feels softer and less slippery than a plated brass ,that improves the precision of your lip moves and gives you a better support ,therefore a better endurance.The whole mouthpiece has been tempered at hot temperature in beeswax ,this protects and raincoats the wood deep inside , then on the surface a balm is applied to give you extra comfort

I met didgeridoo maker once (strange folk at music festivals!) and he uses a beeswax rim for the mouthpieces. He made one each for my daughters.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  10. Mesmerist

And this one from The Perfect Wood, a Canadian firm that has been making wood/metal mouthpieces for 21 years;

The Perfect Wood is the only product of its type.... a wood trumpet mouthpiece

It is highly responsive, comfortable, "soft" to the embouchure, offers very high
    performance capabilities, can extend a musicians range and dynamics, and did we
    mention... is incredibly comfortable?

Having provided all this general information, there is still no substitute for the need for
    practicing, nor the need for a professional teacher to advance a young (or old)
    musician's abilities. The trumpet or mouthpiece does not do the playing.... the musician

The Perfect Wood Trumpet / Cornet / Flugelhorn Mouthpiece System
  11. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

Interesting that my experience is as the manufacturers themselves describe, though I didn't view it in the positive light that they attempt to promote. I suspect that (as with many things in this line) what suits, works for or appeals to one individual will not to another. You might have to take the plunge, part with some cash and see how you like it. You may be lucky and find it's the cats conkers.
    Mesmerist likes this.
  12. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Follow the link. My LOUD is a LM-7 large shank for a sov Eb Bass
  13. Mello

Mello Member

For what its worth I have used one for a while on Tenor Horn & Alphorn.
    The T/Hn was Rosewood and I found it comfortable and it did the job fine. The only downside I fund was that it held moisture and after an extended session it was quite wet to the touch . in outdoor conditions that made it feel unpleasant when placing it on the lips.
    As I usually did fairly long sessions I went back to metal. I would point out the shank was metal but the cup itself Rosewood.

With the Alphorn, my sessions were not as long so I used wood without probs, but as the shank was long and wide ( to fit into the Hn receiver ) I found it more convenient to leave a metal shank in the receiver and use the metal tenor Hn one .

So in a nutshell , in normal warm conditions a wood M/piece is fine,,,,,the sound , range and intonation all good as is comfort . Just the moisture retaining feature spoiled it for me at times.
    Mesmerist likes this.
  14. Mesmerist

I'm taking the plunge and they are making a custom one for me (with no extra charges). Mello, I don't think I'm up to your hard working standards and unless I go back to a band, will try to avoid the outside conditions. Are you in the UK and have you contested with the wooden mouthpiece? I was just wondering if there are any ancient banding laws protesting against the use of anything other than traditional instruments and accessories.
  15. Mesmerist

My mouthpiece finally arrived today wrapped in a purple velvet drawstring bag. On first play (bearing in mind there has been a three year break) I LOVE it. It feels strange, it sort of tickles and I don't know how it will feel with prolonged playing but the range is so easy and I don't remember the top end being so effortless before. Early days yet but I reckon this could be love...
  16. Mesmerist

Loved the flugel one so I've just ordered my very own custom cornet one. Can't wait! :)
  17. Mesmerist

Not the same maker (jeunatural), and he's a bit long winded so skip through it and there's a part where he plays the flugel with a traditional mouthpiece then his new wooden one. (Around 13 minutes in). He is right about the postal service - it takes weeks!
  18. Mesmerist

19. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

Mesmerist likes this.
  20. Mesmerist

Thank you 2T. I bought mine through Etsy. Took weeks for the french postal service but then there were political events over there at the time.