A London Overture - Philip Sparke

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rodney, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Rodney

Rodney Member

Our band - Geelong West Brass - is rehearsing this for a competition in July along with Where Eagles Sing by Paul Lovatt-Cooper and two other items.

I usually really like music from Mr Sparke but I'm afraid that every time I hear London Symphony, I dislike it more and more. This is not conducive to home practice.

On the other hand, I love 'Where Eagles Sing' and every time I hear that, I love it more and more and really enjoy rehearsing it.

How do you prepare for a piece that you hate playing but have to??

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Philip Sparke
    London
    Bendigo Eistedfodd
    Rodney
    Hooroo
  3. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

Just got to get on with it I'm afraid....I'm sure we have all played test pieces where our own part is rubbish but someone elses might be really enjoyable and vice versa....just practise at home until your part is right thats all you can do....

4. Ooh Aah

Ooh Aah New Member

It's never easy but you need to put your own feelings aside and work for the benefit of the band, which I am sure you would do anyway. Be satsfied with playing the piece to the highest standard you can and maybe that way you will enjoy the performance if not the peice.

There will always be another contest and another test piece so better luck next time!

5. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Yep, that's just about it, matey. Just bite your lip and go throught the paces. there is one piece I love to hate and that is Frank Bryce's Promenade. I just hate the piece. Everybody else in the band love's it. Am I alone in this?

6. Rodney

Rodney Member

Yep.......thought you'd say something like that. I know full well that there's nothing I can do about 'London' but stick with it and play it to the best of my ability. Ah well, at least there's 'Where Eagles Sing' to compensate.

But Mr Sparkes' music is normally so good - I daresay, I'm alone in my thinking of this piece of music. Do you like it???

7. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I'm a great fan of Philip Sparke's work - indeed I commuted in this morning with "Music for Battle Creek" , and I've got three or four other CD's of his stuff which are generally not far from my music system at any time .

We're currently working on a piece of his for a contest next week ( can't say which one cos its an ents job and my MD would do things to me if I gave the game away !! ) which the band are really enjoying , people leave the rehearsal whistling it etc .

Having said that , it just doesn't "do it" for me - I'm very much the minority opinion , and its just down to personal opinion on my part - I'm certainly in no position to pass comment on how well composed the work is or its intricacies , I don't have the education or knowledge of Mr Sparke . Its purely a personal thing. I suspect the same might be the case for Rodney and "London Symphony".

8. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Having previously written "A London Overture" maybe a forthcoming work from Philip might be entitled "London Symphony" ;)

9. brassbandmaestro

Be too near the more famous Vaughan Williams 'A London Symphony', I would think. But why not indeed. Philip Sparke, you reading this, by any chance??

10. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

We are presently doing Philips Jubilee Prelude, I find semi leanings towards various TV westerns in it and quite like it, but one member detests it. I find some music good and a joy to play, some that doesn't move me one way or the other, and some I don't like at all. That is unfortunately all part of playing any music in any band or orchestra. Those I don't like I still put as much effort into as any other, including those I like a lot, I am only there to play it for someone else to enjoy after all.:clap:
    Of course it helps if I enjoy playing it as well, but there are some that I am glad when it is over.:rolleyes:

11. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

find some of the runs and hard bits and do scale exersizes in the key needed to get the fingers runing saves looking at the actual test peice.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Philip Sparke
    London
    Bendigo Eistedfodd
    Rodney
    Hooroo
  13. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Yes, but I don't have a sensible solution, I'm afraid!

14. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

for what it's worth, London Overture is my favourite piece by Philip!

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I also thionk its a cracking piece FWIW, with a lovely slow movement. Still each to their own I guess :)

As for your question, I tend to concentrate on the technical stuff at home anyway so whether I like a piece or not doesn't really come into the equation. My problem is when we're rehearsing a piece I don't like at band. Getting motivated to play it properly can be difficult sometimes - especially if the same players are making the same mistakes over and over.

16. Rodney

Rodney Member

Well, hello Mr Sparke,

No disrespect is intended to you in my posts about this piece of music.

It's just that........well, some music you like and some........well.

At rehearsals, I know that I should be listening across the whole band etc but it's just not happening for me with 'Overture'.

Any personal in-sights you could throw my way?????

Like I said, the old 'home practise' is suffering a bit as I tend to concentrate more on the other music we are going to play at the comp.

'Overture' aside, I am still a huge fan of your music. < ok Rod, stop crawling....you're only making the hole deeper >

17. brassbandmaestro

I love it too, but i still dont like Frank Bryce's promenade!! Philip, your Music for battle Creek is a scorcher!!

18. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

In my work as a trumpetplayer and conductor I sometimes meet a piece of music that I dislike for some reason....

So the only thing you can do is to practise the piece until you love it... You get paid to give the audience a musical expirience no matter how you feel..

19. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

No offence taken, of course! I have a medically dangerous hatred of Ricky Ponting (and Matthew Hayden), but I have to cope with that - I do this by watching Steve Harmison draw blood in 2005!!

No, I don't think I can make you like it, but my own philosophy would be to make sure I'm playing the notes as well I can. Don't dwell on the fact that you don't like it - accentuate the positive by honing your own performance to perfection. It will soon be over !!!!

20. dread0

dread0 New Member

" London Overture" gets my vote, anytime ...

Played this one as the own-choice test piece at the S.C.A.B.A Autumn Contest last year - six months ago.

What can I say about it?

... rising semi-quavers for the Bass Trombone right up to the top register, quiet movement at C to die for, whacking good shock quavers at N, liberal use of "hippopotamus" quavers to a rousing finish etc. etc. etc.

Don't know if it has ever been played/set at higher levels but a CRACKING 1st Section test if I have ever played one, IMHO.

We just about had a clean sweep of the ear of David Hirst that day ...

1. Horsham Borough, Keith Maxwell, 192
    Hymn Tune >> 1. Horsham Borough, Keith Maxwell, 90 Best Instrumentalist: David Beck, Solo Cornet, Horsham BoroughBest Euphonium: Dawn Culver, Horsham BoroughBest Bass Section: Horsham BoroughConductor’s Prize: Timothy Vinal, Betteshanger WelfareHighest Placed Member Band: Horsham Borough

21. Rodney

Rodney Member

Well, well, well. Played this as one of the numbers at the recent Bendigo Eistedfodd and we took out first prize in our section. Next band was 12 points behind us -I think. Full results are on 4 bars rest, click on the 'Down Under' tab.

Hooroo

22. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations! After that result do you like London Overture a bit more now? ;)