A little puzzle for any mensa types out there

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Laserbeam bass, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I was flicking through the channels last night and found this show called quizmania.

There was a statement on the screen and the idea was to add up all the numbers included in the following.

"Members of ABBA
    legs on 2 Elephants
    One Thousand
    Letters in Eighty-Two
    The number twelve
    Seven indian curries"

I used various ways to try and get the answer. I thought of just figures so the answer would be 2. Any reference to a single number, (for these purposes I allowed thousand to be 1000, as well as not), the number of letters in Eighty-Two being 9, etc ad infinitum. I even considered that Twelve Seven could be read as 127. Some other people who were daft enough to ring the show at 60p per call, without the guarantee of getting through, were using the same logic but no one got the answer.

To cut a long story short the answer given was 7203. Anyone got an idea how that figure was arrived at :confused: :eek: :ranting2: :evil: :dunno

2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Would this be the same quizmania programme / channel that was being investigated on Watchdog on Tuesday night?

They had a guy on there who sets puzzles for game shows, and he couldn't figure out how they got to the answer that was said to be correct.

Maybe this has something to do with you having to ring in the answer on premium rate phone lines????

3. Heather

Heather Member

Yeah. There's a few of these quiz channels now all with the same types of 'impossible' problems.
    I think the general concensus is that they are all a con and are being investigated like the shopping channel earlier this year.

4. Sopfonix

Sopfonix Member

Mensa

What a swizz these channels are. I was looking for something to watch before going out one day and found one of these quizzes on a sky channel. Convinced I had the correct answer I watched the show to see if I was correct, loads of people rang in with the same answer as me, all incorrect and the nauseous presenter grinning away telling people to phone in 'cos they were sure to be right, there was only one possible answer and somebody had to win the mega amount of money. Then the time runs out, no one has come up with the right answer, the correct answer is revealed - BUT NO SOLUTION.......aaaaarrrrgghhhh:mad: :mad: :mad: . I'd wasted time watching a pointless quiz that didn't even offer an explanation to how the answer was derived. Just the producers laughing in the background at the gullible public and the wads of dosh they had made from these poor people who thought they had a chance of winning.
    What a load of rubbish, good mind to stop my sky subscription, apart from the fact the football season has restarted and there are some jolly good documentaries out there, and I do like the reruns of the good old quiz shows like 321 and Wheel of Fortune ( which I always missed because I was at one rehearsal or another):biggrin: