A Little Light Music

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by fartycat, Oct 2, 2010.

1. fartycat

fartycat Member

Has any other band in the 3rd section seen A Little Light Music yet?

I got hold of the score and the Regionals 2011 CD at Harrogate eek! There's some very tough movements. In particular, the second and fourth movements (the latter is marked at Presto in 12/8 with lots and lots of notes!)

I see that 4BR complained about the standards of Harrogate's 4th section testpiece 'A Royal Mile' by Alan Fernie claiming that it was too hard for that section. Personally I'm note sure about that (you could count the technical aspects of the work on one hand) but perhaps 4BR should take a look at the choice for the 3rd section?

Aside from possibly the Bolero variation in Paganinni Variations I think that the 4th movt will be the most technically challenging piece of music heard at the areas this year.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    A Little Light Music
    A Royal Mile
    Harrogate
    Regionals 2011 CD
    4BR
  3. stotty74

stotty74 Member

I havent yet seen the score but i have listened to it on the Regionals cd, and yes the 4th movement in particular sounds like it could be challenging ;-)

Im looking forward to getting the score to have a proper read through of it :)

4. jim

jim Member

I remember this when it was a commision by Parc & Dare circa 2003 time? if its the right peice, douse it have the 3 triangles part in Cardiff Bay Ice Cream? great fun!!

5. fartycat

fartycat Member

The score is at the bandroom, didn't spot the 3 triangles bit, but it is the same piece and starts with a triangle solo for 2 bars!

6. jim

jim Member

Sounds like it!, I am sure you will be lending them a lovley set of triangles to play on, just imagine some of the concoctions of stands we will see!!

7. QAD

QAD Member

I've looked at the score in detail and also listened to the recording serval times (had many hours to kill on the bus down from harrogate).
    I have to say that whilst this is a very enjoyable piece, I doubt that many third section bands will come close to this in March. A very difficuly selection. I haven't put it on the stand yet, but I'm looking foward to the reaction from the second cornets when they see they've got top A's and Bb's and no one to cover them.

8. euphojim

euphojim Member

Had a blow through this on top Euph last night and am very impressed with the piece and the part.

Lots of useful space to make notes in the 1st movement, beautiful 3rd movement but the 4th is going to seriously challenge most 3rd section bands.

9. delboy822

delboy822 Member

oooh you're mean... :)

10. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

interesting...

we had it out at band the other night, as the publisher was "checking the parts" and I must say I'm glad to be in 2nd section!

11. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Had a quick blow at it the other night, most of the tricky looking notes in the 4th movement is under the fingers thankfully, it's definately going to challenge certain sections of bands though!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    A Little Light Music
    A Royal Mile
    Harrogate
    Regionals 2011 CD
    4BR
  13. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Presumably bands won't be expected to do the standing up in the 1st and 5th movements?

Also, there is no mention in the score of three triangles in the 4th movement. Indeed, on the title page of the score under 'Percussion Requirements' there is no mention of a triangle either!!!!! :-? Unless, of course, he considers the triangle a basic part of a 'drum kit' :biggrin: !!!

14. delboy822

delboy822 Member

Hehe, spotted another video on youtube where they don't...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOrbs42yP2k&feature=related

The 4th movement is unfortunately just as fast lol... (Was hoping the French band were taking it slightly over tempo but apparently not)

I have the exciting task of picking up our set of music tomorrow so will get to have a sneaky peak before everyone else... ;)

15. Hornator

Hornator New Member

Most bands must have had a play through 'A Little Light Music' by now. What do you think?
    We really like the first thee and last movements but I must agree with the majority of the band members when they say the technical requirements of the fourth movement are too advanced for the 3rd section. Especially for bands just recently promoted. I fear there will be quite a few scrappy performances at this years area. Infact i've just heard of a band who feel it necessary to start having extra 3 hour Sunday rehearsals from TODAY!
    Is this sort of area contest preparation expected of lower section bands today?

16. fartycat

fartycat Member

Really? Since the announcement of the piece we've had 3 concerts, 3 carnivals, two remembrance services and a contest (which we won) and haven't had a spare 15 minutes to run the piece. Makes me wonder if I conduct an unusually busy band....

17. CorelliClash

CorelliClash New Member

haha well i do think this will sort out the men from the boys, however I was looking at the score this evening and think it would be a fair and good challenge if managed properly.

There are some interesting choices in all sections this year, and I think it may be difficult to predict some results! but we shall see......

18. CorelliClash

CorelliClash New Member

Your not alone here, I havnt got it out with my band yet, will do early in the new year though, Im a big believer in not getting things out too early.... a bored band is a bad band I think..

19. bbg

bbg Member

Had a brief run through last week (no rehearsal tonight due to heavy snow and bad road conditions), it's certainly going to challenge us poor sods in 3rd Section, as does the piece every year. Top B for Eb bass? Must be a misprint, surely? Please?
    Seriously, the much-feared 4th movement may not be as bad as we all think - the big danger will be getting hung up / over concentrating on that at the expense of the rest of the piece.

20. steve sizeland

steve sizeland New Member

Interesting comments generally, but remember, the publishers have reprinted the music because of the fourth movement. Imagine what it would be like in the original form where crotchet = 200 !!!
    Looking forweard to getting to grips with the piece and God help my cornet players if they haven't used their Arbans!
    Steve Sizeland
    MD, Cold Ash Brass

21. Euphemistic

Euphemistic New Member

Indeed - time served on the Arban will be well rewarded in the 4th mvt - esp on Cornet and Euph. Looking forward to getting to grips with it in earnest!

Page turns in the Euph part are not very sympathetic!

22. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

:clap: Bl**dy naff is what they are.