A little help?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by meandmycornet, Mar 21, 2006.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Hello Hello.....

We have somewhat of a dilemma down here at South Molton....

We've just finished rehearsing Entertainments for the Area, and we're now looking for a fantastic testpiece for Weston-Super-Mare own choice contest... only problem is its not long off and we don't seem to have many 3rd section test pieces for some reason!

Ideally we'd like a piece that is suitable for a good third section band, that will challenge us, but is manaeable in roughly 5 weeks of rehearsals (2 or 3 a week) and has good meaty Euph and Sop parts!!!

Sooooo what do reckon then folks?

Thanking you muchly in advance

Fi
    xx

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Weston
    Euph
    South Molton
    advanceFixx
    folks
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Toccata Festiva (Jan Van der Roost) ??

4. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Hmmm let me think...Kaleidoscope! Even though I don't know what section it is....but play it anyway :biggrin: Or maybe St Austell suite? I hear you have a solo in that?? :tongue:
    Middlesome sis xxx
    (look around the eyes around the eyes not in the eyes around the eyes!)

5. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

The Wilby Partita is good, was 3rd section nationals piece a few years ago now.

6. meandmycornet

:confused: we played that in second section at SWBBA contest last year!! and we played st austell suite in the third section at the same contest!!

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Or something fairly new to catch adjudicators out ...

- Amsterdam (Rob Goorhuis)

8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Have a look at the SCABA website. It contains a link to a document suggesting testpieces suitable for each section. There are probably some 2nd section test pieces that you could easily manage (e.g. Dimensions), but it gives a rough idea.

9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I presume you've considered Sparke's Triptych and Gregson's Variations on Laudate Dominum? For a bit of a change you could also try Vaughan WIlliams' Henry V or (if you can get hold of it) Tuba Mirum by Gareth Wood.

10. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Yeeehh! Kaleidoscope, that was 2nd section areas in 2004 :) Do that one fi!!! :tongue:

11. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

how about viscaya good oldie but has been used in the last few years so still in the minds of the adjudicators also you could try kingdom triumphant

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Weston
    Euph
    South Molton
    advanceFixx
    folks
  13. meandmycornet

Are you sure thats 2nd section?!?! we had that out last night! and it was soooo easier than all the 3rd section ones we tried and sounded kinda 4th sectiony (our MD said so! :tongue: )

rather keen on kaliedascope at the moment.... its beautiful!!!

14. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Yes I know! I've done it with a 4th section band before now too. But, it's listed as a 2nd section testpiece by none other by Mr Dennis Wilby, and who am I to suggest otherwise?! :tongue:

15. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Isn't Viscaya 4th section nowadays, GingerM, why not summat to get yer teeth into, Rhapsody In Brass or really go to test yerself with summat like Resurgam, go on MeAndMy ya can do it :clap: ya know ya can

16. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Great minds eh....that's just what I was going to suggest! :rolleyes:

17. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Firestorm... cracking piece, especially for 3rd section. But if you managed Entertainments you'll manage Firetorm.

18. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Ahhhh 1993 and Wembley - those were the memories to savour :D