A little buggy!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Jul 21, 2007.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

:) - here's one of the first taken with my new Olympus Zuiko macro lens... a venture out to the dark depths of my garden - which so far this summer, hasn't seen much action!!

2. horn1

horn1 Member

Wow that looks great!
  3. TheMusicMan

Thanks Nicola.

I am impressed with this camera, and the macro lens I purchased yesterday. The actual bug was about 1.5cm in life-size, managed to get in fairly close - certainly enough to crop the image a little and get this frame from it.

The bug itself is a little underexposed - anyone know how I could use PhotoShop or Lightroom to just increase the exposure on a selection of an image and not the entire image...?
  4. horn1

horn1 Member

The macro lens certainly seems to be doing a great job, I wish I had one :( anyway now I'm on my summer holidays I should have chance to play with my new EOS 400D! Can't wait :)
    Can't help with Photoshop I'm a complete novice at that!
  5. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Wow How many pixels is the camera - that looks better than the new HD advertised!!
  6. TheMusicMan

Thanks Nicola - WOW - EOS400 eh, you're a camera freak then eh:)

Hi ITMD... it's a 10MegaPx camera, and I used an Olympus macro lens for that shot. I underexposed the buggy though... need to learn a little more about selective exposure et al.
  7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

In photoshop create a duplicate layer called bug. Click on the eye icon to the left of the background layer to take it out of the view. make sure the bug layer is the currently selected layer and erase everything in the bug layer leaving only the bug. Make your exposure adjustments to the bug layer and then click on the little eye icon next to the background layer to bring it back into view. Once you are happy select flatten image from the layers menu.
  8. TheMusicMan

Thanks John, I shall try this on the weekend. Cheers.

However, won't that still produce a merge of the two 'bugs'...? the one form the original background layer, and the one from the new lightened layer - thus seeing an even darker bug in the final flattened image?
  9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Depends what type of layer you choose. Layers, by default, mask each other out unless you change the transparency/opacity settings.