A Level Results Day

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by mikelyons, Aug 20, 2009.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Happy results day to all our student members. I really hope you all get the results that you have earned and for those in the upper 6th (Year 13) that you will be able to get your university courses etc that you have been hoping for.

Best wishes and congratulations one and all.

2. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

They will get the results they deserve because they are getting easier!!! ;)
  3. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

Are the tests getting easier, or are the kids getting smarter? But its all swings and roundabouts i suppose, good luck to all the guys getting there results, i know when i went to collect mine it was horrible until i opened the envelope and knew for sure i had passed
  4. sparkly

sparkly New Member

Lies damn lies and statistics!

If you look at the AS pass rates you will see that they are much lower. Weaker students dissappear at this point (drop completely/drop the subject) so when the media talks about such high pass rates for A level they neglect to say that years ago these students are likely to have failed at A2 instead of failing at AS and dropping.

Am not saying that they are not easier in some respects, but I think a big proportion of the difference is due to this not being made clear.
  5. sparkly

sparkly New Member

6. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I did well and I got into the uni I wanted to.

This was 5 years ago mind...;)
  7. StellaJohnson

I was stirring. I'm tmp trouble maker!!:D
  8. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

thats just naughty Stella, hehe
  9. sparkly

sparkly New Member

I know Stella! :tongue:

Just had a look through our results and I am pleased with how my students did :biggrin:
  10. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

11. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Absolutely spot on, but when did the media ever consider telling the whole story? My students did brilliantly this year and have deserved their success.
  12. mikelyons

That was informative, Chris! ;) Was it a good Meh! or a bad Meh!?

13. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Don't know about A-levels but I have to say GSCE Maths isn't really as hard as I thought it would have been......don't know whether it's me or a general thing though....
  14. mikelyons

Mine have done reasonably well, I'm fairly pleased that the spread of marks justifies the amount of effort put in by certain people.

I think the A2 performance was marked a little harshly, though!
  15. mikelyons

Or have you been at the sheep again? :roll:
  16. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Oi, no moaning that exams are getting easier, I worked hard for my AS results and got AAABB!
  17. Kjata

Kjata Member

I am absolutely disgusted of all media coverage of the A level results! They are playing it like the only reason the results are getting better is because the exams are easier. I have already had the disappointed parent talk because I didn't get straight A's, and have been completely misled by the media!
    To those who say that exams are getting easier I say this: YOU do it then!

The reason exam results are increased is because we are getting.. For want of a better word cleverer!

So BACK off!

Ps congratulations flutey, a truly great lot of results! :)
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  18. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

it's a bad meh Mike, but it's the kick up the **** I needed.
  19. StellaJohnson

I personally think its alot easier to access information these days. With a click of a button on the internet a whole sorce of information. When I was at school I left with 4 GCSE's that was it. Now I have a HND, HNC and a degree in the age of modern technology I think its alot easier. Don't get me wrong of course you have worked hard for it just like I have with my qualifications, but you have to admit, its easier to access this information when you are unsure of something and when you complete your coursework.

Good luck to everyone, who are expecting results
  20. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I agree with Stella, there's more information readily available to students in the comfort/privacy of their own homes nowadays, they don't have to stop researching just because the library has closed, etc. It's also easier for students to keep in touch with each other - most of them have mobile phones, and computers. When I was at school computers weren't all networked, and mobile phones were those gigantic boxy things that people with too much money carried around to show off.

It's great that young people have such ready access to so much information nowadays, this must help a lot when studying, however it doesn't sit the exam for you - I hope everyone on tMP got the results they were looking for. If not, it's not the end of the world, there are still lots of opportunities out there.